Engine Monitoring - if you can't wait for ARNAV

I hope I’m not going to get Cirrus in trouble for posting this, if I am, sorry Cirrus. But in response to my e-mail about switching out that ludicrous EGT/CHT that comes standard for a JPI, a person we all know from the company said

"In the after market I think it wouldn’t be difficult to replace the egt/cht gauge since neither are “required” equipment under part 23. There may be some physical space issues and you’d need to screw around with what is where

but I’d guess it’s manageable."

Hmmm…

Dean

I hope I’m not going to get Cirrus in trouble for posting this, if I am, sorry Cirrus. But in response to my e-mail about switching out that ludicrous EGT/CHT that comes standard for a JPI, a person we all know from the company said

"In the after market I think it wouldn’t be difficult to replace the egt/cht gauge since neither are “required” equipment under part 23. There may be some physical space issues and you’d need to screw around with what is where

Hmmm…

In the recent burst of discussion concerning engine monitors, only GEM and JPI got discussed.

FWIW, I have an Electronics International UBG16, with fuel flow module added, in my Dakota and it is great. Both digital and bar graph, except the fuel flow is digital only. I love it and believe it may be even less costly than the others, especially JPI.

Dean

I guess he’s telling us that Cirrus isn’t going to be a custom shop for various aftermarket options. This may make sense to their future profitability. I don’t think there’s time or money (same thing)for Cirrus to deal with each of us and custom make (remake) the airplane, although I can’t blame anyone for trying. Perhaps, someone can tell us how other airplane mfgs in the same price range (Cessna, Piper) would respond to requests for substitutions of equipment, options not offered, etc. It would seem there is a real opportunity for someone to open a custom avionics shop at the Duluth airport for Cirrus customers.

Hmmm…

Dean

I guess he’s telling us that Cirrus isn’t going to be a custom shop for various aftermarket options. This may make sense to their future profitability. I don’t think there’s time or money (same thing)for Cirrus to deal with each of us and custom make (remake) the airplane, although I can’t blame anyone for trying. Perhaps, someone can tell us how other airplane mfgs in the same price range (Cessna, Piper) would respond to requests for substitutions of equipment, options not offered, etc. It would seem there is a real opportunity for someone to open a custom avionics shop at the Duluth airport for Cirrus customers.

I was talking to Bruce Gunther recently (as I am planning on purchasing), and he said that, while the factory WILL NOT be making any substitutions /modifications (the operational support needed just isn’t possible now, or probably ever, and I agree), he said they are in the process of opening a custom shop as you describe above. It will be a separate operation from the factory, but still part of the corporation. He said it should be fully operational (I think) by the end of the year.

Tom