Additional liability insurance

My partner and I are trying to find out how to get additional liability coverage beyond the standard $1 million that seems to be the limit for most of the aviation insurance writers. Can anyone give us some advice on who we can contact for coverage up to $5-10 million?

Thanks in advance-

Greg

My partner and I are trying to find out how to get additional liability coverage beyond the standard $1 million that seems to be the limit for most of the aviation insurance writers. Can anyone give us some advice on who we can contact for coverage up to $5-10 million?

Thanks in advance-

Greg

Good luck, you’ll need it. I managed to get $2M smooth by paying through the nose, but gone are the days when Avemco would write a $5M smooth policy on a 172 for a 200 hour private pilot and a student pilot together (yes, we did have this for one year back in 1997.)

In contrast, you can get full hull coverage and $100M in liability on a bizjet for premiums in the low five figures per year (less than what a friend of mine was paying for insurance on his $250K Robinson R44 helicopter.) Helps when the aircraft is flown by professional pilots under a 135 cert.

I got $ 2million on top of my $1 million smooth. Nationaire was the agent. You can e-mail me for an agent name and number.

Andy

Thanks in advance-

Greg

Hi Greg: We got a quote of $3200 for $1M/$100K from lots of carriers. AOPA gave us $3500 for $1M smooth and $5000 for $2M smooth.

Our particulars were SR20 (insured to $230K), 2 Pilots both factory trained with Instrument Ratings. One with 600 hours and one with 400 hours.

In my last plane AOPA was not the lowest, but in this case they were the best value. (Unless someone else has better rates!!!)

Also, AOPA’s loan (MBNA) also has some pretty good rates and even lets you “buy down” the rate with points similar to a house.

Derek

Thanks in advance-

Greg

Search this site including the archives and you will find numersous posts on the subject of insurance including sources.

Bob

Thanks in advance-

Greg

For my 260se/stol I have $1M smooth with USAIG as underwriter and Hardy Aviation Insurance in Wichita KS as broker. Together with a $200K hull value, the premium was $2925.

On top of this I have $3M excess liability insurance through William J. Grohs Aviation insurance (broker), in Oxford Connecticutt I believe. The premuim was $1955. They will sell up to $6M excess liability, but you must have the underlying $1M smooth. I think the underwriter is Halton Hall. Grohs’ contact info should be easily found by a Yahoo search but if you want it from me let me know by e-mail.

Thanks in advance-

Greg

The Halton Hall facility using Belvedere Insurance paper exists for the use of virtually all independent aviation insurance agents. Pretty much the only requirement is that you have underlying coverage of one million smooth.

The point is is that you don’t need the name of some far off agent; just ask the guy who wrote you your one million smooth for a quote from Hall. If he doesn’t know what you’re talking about (unlikely), you might want to rethink your relationship with him (or her).

For example, I have one million smooth through USAIG, and three million excess through Hall/Belvedere for an additional annual premium of $1,955. Higher limits are available, but I feel semi OK with my four million smooth total.

Hope this helps.

Well, once again the forum has been worth its weight in gold. Thanks to all of you for responding. We will begin following up on the leads right away.

Greg-SR22 #111

Thanks in advance-

Greg

I got $ 2million on top of my $1 million smooth. Nationaire was the agent. You can e-mail me for an agent name and number.

Pleeeease— give us the name of your agent, thanks TOIM CONLEY- conleys6@juno.com

Andy

Thanks in advance-

Greg