Why doesn't the #2 gps/vor show on the sandel

any reason why the #2 garmin vor/gps cannot be displayed on the sandel?

the #2 garmin shows on a standard vor indicator and one could say that’s a backup in case the sandel goes. but the signal could have been routed to both.

would have been very useful for instrument approaches. could use that as an RMI.

In reply to:

any reason why the #2 garmin vor/gps cannot be displayed on the sandel?

This was an intentional design decision by Cirrus. I believe they wanted to minimize possibilities for confusion.

Marty is correct in that the #2 cannot display as the CDI by design to remove the problem of not knowing what VOR/GPS you’re showing.
In spite of that you CAN use the Sandel as an RMI during an approach by using the bearing function. When turned on it will read radial from VOR 1 VOR 2 or both. It’s very useful if you want to cross check step down fixes.

I have read stories about pilots mixing up which device is driving the CDI and crashing. With all of the information on the 3" Sandel I can see why Cirrus limited the interface.

I looked at the new Avidyne display (at AOPA- pre release) and it does allow input from either Garmin. You will see the source clearly in large lettering that is impossible to miss given the large display size.

Cirrus has thought it out and done it right!

Tom Bleier

you CAN use the Sandel as an RMI during an approach by using the bearing function. When turned on it will read radial from VOR 1 VOR 2 or both. It’s very useful if you want to cross check step down fixes.

However, as I understand it, you cannot use the #2 GPS output to drive an RMI on the Sandel. This would be useful if the waypoint were an intersection, an NDB, or a marker beacon.

I think the hardware (a few wires) is in place to do this, but the Sandel software does not allow it, and Sandel has promised to fix this in some future software release.

-Mike

Mike, you’re correct. The bearing pointer works with the VORs only. You can set the Sandel up to give bearing to an NDB or GPS waypoint but that function is not supported in the Cirrus.
I personally agree with Cirrus that the CDI on the Sandel should only be able to show course deviation based on the #1 430. I wouldn’t mind if the RMI function were available for GPS and NDB (markers would only work if they are a GPS waypoint or have a colocated NBD) but, frankly, I really don’t miss it. As a practical matter most approaches don’t need the RMI function and with the plethora of graphic depictions of the course available on the 430s, MFD and Sandel, there is more than enough information for all but the most spatially challenged and if someone is that challenged he shouldn’t be flying.

there is more than enough information for all but the most spatially challenged and if someone is that challenged he shouldn’t be flying.

Jerry,

I agree 100%.

-Mike