Whether SR22 is right plane for me

I am a 52-year-old attorney in Austin with business interests in West Texas and the Panhandle. I am taking lessons now and intend to buy a plane in the spring. My motivation for flying is time (there isn’t good commercial service to these areas, and I don’t have time to drive). Most flights would be in the 300-400 mile range.
I have been studying plane options and talking to friends who are pilots. I sure like what I have learned about the SR22. Here is my question: would a used SR22 be a good plane for me to buy, or is it too much plane for a new pilot? I would fly at least 50 hours in a Cessna 182 after finishing my license before buying the SR22.
I sure appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks

Monte:
I transitioned into the SR22 from 172s and 182s and with a new instrument rating. The flying part came easier than learning the new avionics - but I came from all steam gauge panels and had zero glass panel experience.
Mark

About two years ago I went through a similar eval. At the time I had about 150 hours in both Cessnas and LSA’s but really wanted to get something that could help me get to customers in almost any weather, etc. I ended up hiring a pilot to fly with me to meetings. A few thoughts went into this for me. First I fly to a meeting, meet for 4 hours, and then want to fly home. After a 4 hour or longer meeting, I am often too tired to fly by myself for sure. Second the SR22 is a great plane but everything happens much faster than a 182 or in my case the planes I was used to flying and still fly by they way. So I bought a G3 sr22 in August of 2012 and flew for about 500 hours in the first year. I then bought a G5 turbo just a few weeks ago since my missions have changed to longer flights. When I bought the first plane I had my pilot trained as a CSIP which has proven to be fabulous for me. I am 55 and don’t learn as fast as I used to learn. Any way the plane is a time machine for me and has really improved my life. Plus I love to fly but hate commercial travel. Best of luck!

Monte, this has been done by many with your expected experience. The key to doing so safely is hiring a great transition instructor.

I’d enthusiastically recommend Carol Jensen in Georgetown AND joining COPA!

Monte,
Come fully on board and you will read so many discussions similar to what you are asking here.
Happy December first and happy first post!

I learned to fly in the SR22. It is a lot of plane for a new pilot, but it can be done. It may take a bit more time to get comfortable with the plane than it would take in a 182, etc.

+1 the guest discussions contain only .1% of the content posted everyday on COPA.

Absolutely you can learn to fly in your SR22. I have had 3 students go from near zero time to PPL in a 22. Get your IFR rating and find a quality CSIP! It makes ALL the difference in the world. Also bringing a CSIP along on longer missions is a great idea, as you will be fatigued and need to focus on business meetings and long travel days are a pain!

Good luck!

Thanks, Mark.

Thanks, Shane.

Thanks, Robbie.

What does fully on board mean?

Monte,

Like you I started flying strictly for business purposes. Started lessons in Mar. '05 when I was 56. After 140 hrs total time, maybe 80 post solo in a 172, I picked up my new SR22 mid December. If I had it to do all over, I would just order the SR22 sooner. Early on had to do some go a rounds due to excessive speed, but learned to aggressively slip when I didn't manage my speed early enough. SR22s fly great. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Instead of spending time in a 182, I would recommend spending those dollars w/ a good transition CFI in the Cirrus. I upgraded to a later model G3 Turbo normalized & have an exceptionally well maintained '05 loaded G2 for sale.

Fully on board = Full member

Best money you will ever spend. Wealth of info no matter your path.

Monte,
As others have said: join and then just drink from the firehouse. The best thing you can do is get in the aircraft and try it out yourself.

Monte,

If you are ever in my part of the panhandle (Lubbock), give me a call and I would be happy to take you up in my Cirrus. I have owned both a 20 and a 22 as well as a 182. My number is 806-790-3542. I have business interests in the panhandle as well and occasionally use my plane in that regard.

Join COPA.

Randy:

Thanks for your response. It was helpful. Is there a big jump between flying a 172 and SR22? How fast do you land your SR22 in calm winds? How fast does your 2005 G2 cruise once you get up without a lot of tail wind? Thanks again.

Monte

Well, they fly different. Most of the difference is high wing v low wing. Just different, but so is dating different women; just different.

An SR22 has an approach speed over the numbers of the mid - high 70’s

That depends on how fast you want to fly; whether you are flying with the engine leaned (about 170 kts) or on the rich side (about 180 kts) and wind has nothing to do with anything as to how fast a plane will cruise, although I always try to fly with a tail wind, but it doesn’t always work out.

Monte,

I started my PPL training in a 172. After 50 hours I transitioned to a SR22 which I bought and flew another 40 hours before getting my license. I did not think the transition was that difficult. In training we generally slowed the plane down to 100-120 kts. You don’t have to fly fast all the time. I agree with the others that the key to a smooth transition is the training - a good CSIP (Cirrus trained instructor) like Carol Jenson is the key.

Good luck with the training and search for a plane!

Mike