When did Cirrus make Big upgrades to the SR-22

Counselor, your eyes are failing you! Please show me where I said that all G1’s were pre-PFD??? I said no such thing. I said that a 2001 was pre-PFD, which is right, right, right. Since I had a 2003 G1 PFD, I obviously know that there are G1 PFD airplanes!

You drinkin’ too many Mai-Tai’s down there? [D]

I will accept abject bowing and boot licking as penance for now. [:P]

From the kinder, gentler, 10,000+ post me.

Or done already [6]

Josh,

I made the transition from a 78 Turbo Arrow III that I owned for 8 years to an 04 G1 Cirrus SR 22 about one year ago. I purchased it from Cirrus certified used and completed my transition training in Duluth. My plane has the PFD/MFD and I believe it is the last G1 produced. The transition to flying the Cirrus was a non event for me. The most difficult thing for me has been adapting to the “glass” of the technologically advanced aircraft. I found it rather distracting from flying the airplane at first but now appreciate the situational awareness that the avionics provide. I have upgraded the autopilot to the DFC 90 which is rock solid and frankly flies the plane as if it’s on a tractor beam during approaches. The Cirrus is a very stable airplane but does require more attention to energy management than the Arrow. The Cirrus has provided me with much more comfort, safety, and range compared with the Arrow.

A G1 could also be retrofit with a G500 or G600, giving you synthetic vision for a fraction of the cost of an R9 conversion.

The “enhanced vision system” (EVS) is something else entirely…

True, and it is real nice. I have played with that option but have done nothing - yet. The Aspen continues to be the most economical upgrade, but if you do a dual screen Aspen the 500 becomes close in cost. Installation on a G500 is more though.

Were I in the market for a used SR22 just now, a late-model 6-pack G1 into which I would then retrofit a G500 would be pretty high on my list for consideration–really good value there in my opinion.

Early G2’s are very nice too.

Josh,

If it works with your schedule, you should try to come to the Cirrus Migration this year in August. It is going to be in Colorado Springs - very near where you live. You could meet many Cirrus owners, and really learn a lot about the aircraft. At the very least, it would be an excuse to fly your Arrow to a airport that is swamped with GA aircraft for a few days.

True enough, but, for me, the real advantage of the Aspens versus the Garmin is the redundency. The PFD has an internal backup battery and the MFD can, with the push of a button become another PFD and has a dedicated emergency backup battery as well. If you fly a lot in clouds (I know there are none of those in AZ), that ability to have the PFD and HSI even with a complete electrical failure makes the Aspens a better deal. Again, your opinion may vary and the Garmin display, being larger, is easier to read.

Josh, I owned a 67’ Arrow before purchasing my 04’ SR22GTS. There really is no comparision since it is like a Cadillac vs a Pinto (really apples to oranges). I loved my Arrow, but it just can’t compare to the Cirrus. I had flown glass quite a bit (DA40 and Piper Archer III) before purchasing the Cirrus and I fly the Eaglesoft SR22 on FSX, so transition to the glass wasn’t that big a deal. The hardest part is getting used to the performance. The Cirrus is a fast airplane and you need to stay ahead of it or it will bite! If you get good transition training, fly it by the numbers and you will be fine. I love my Cirrus and I don’t see myself in anything else, unless they could make a six-seater. My family won’t fly in anything but a Cirrus. If you want to talk specifics or about purchasing issues, give me a call (816) 830-4803.

Still true, but Aspen will be offering synthetic vision soon.

http://www.aopa.org/news/productnews/110323aspen_backup_display_and_synth_vision.html

SV is pretty recent and it costs a bundle… it requires Perspective… a 60K package as far as I know

Fred

I’m at LMO and I could show you my plane,I only fly on nice ( sunny and relatively calm) days, and I don’t fly on weekends, I can tell you all in know, (takes 3 minutes)

fred