What's n SR22?

Does anyone have any detailed info on the SR22? How fast does it go? How much does it cost? etc, etc.

If not, what are people getting in line for?

1. IO-550 engine, same as A36 Bonanza’s.

2. Top cruise speed of 190 knots.

3. Greater useful load. How much? My guess is 1200 pounds.

4. Greater fuel consumption. My Bonanza A36 burns 14-18 gph, depending on throttle and leaning. The SR22 should do better than that, being a lighter, more aerodynamic aircraft. Something in the 12-14 gph range is my guess.

5. Which leads to a question: Can Cirrus make the fuel tanks larger for the SR22. If not, then the SR22 will have a shortish cruising range . . . only 500 to 600 knots.

6. Cost. My guess is $250K to $300K, depending on options . . . which might include de-icing.

In my opinion, the SR22 spells doomsday for Commander and Mooney. The great and venerable Bonanza should be happy the SR22 is not a six-placer.

Does anyone have any detailed info on the SR22? How fast does it go? How much does it cost? etc, etc.

Er, make that a cruising range of 500 to 600 nm . . . not knots. I’m jumping ahead to the first Cirrus jet. :slight_smile:

1. IO-550 engine, same as A36 Bonanza’s.
  1. Top cruise speed of 190 knots.
  1. Greater useful load. How much? My guess is 1200 pounds.
  1. Greater fuel consumption. My Bonanza A36 burns 14-18 gph, depending on throttle and leaning. The SR22 should do better than that, being a lighter, more aerodynamic aircraft. Something in the 12-14 gph range is my guess.
  1. Which leads to a question: Can Cirrus make the fuel tanks larger for the SR22. If not, then the SR22 will have a shortish cruising range . . . only 500 to 600 knots.
  1. Cost. My guess is $250K to $300K, depending on options . . . which might include de-icing.

In my opinion, the SR22 spells doomsday for Commander and Mooney. The great and venerable Bonanza should be happy the SR22 is not a six-placer.

1. Which leads to a question: Can Cirrus make the fuel tanks larger for the SR22.

Yes, the wings will be 2 feet longer, with bigger tanks. I wouldn’t be surprised if the useful load is > 1200 lbs (extra wing area helps).

1. Cost. My guess is $250K to $300K, depending on options . . . which might include de-icing.

I would guess somewhat higher than that. Bear in mind a “C” model Sr20 is already up to $220K, and I don’t think there will be any “A” model SR22s.

You can bet a 6 place (SR26??) is in the Klapmeier’s minds. But in any case, the Bonanaza is not a true 6 seater (fill the seats with standard bodies, and you can load about an hour’s fuel, with no baggage, so it’s really just a roomy 4 seater), and the SR20 already does everything the Commander can do (it’s only a 160KT plane) at a fraction of the purchase and running costs.

Clyde —

Your point about six-placers is well-taken. I hope Cirrus does produce an SR26 . . . the sooner, the better. But the certification process would be somewhat-to-significantly longer to stretch an airframe than to bolt on a 300 hp engine and add wingspan, no?

The two big stories in GA are composites and turbines. That’s the future. Single turbines are about to blow away twin pistons. Had I the money, I would take a Pilatus PC-12 over a King Air 200 in a heartbeat.

Thus I can see (2 to 5 years from now) Cirrus continuing its migration “up-market” with a turbine six-placer. Cirrus might as well certify its six-place frame for 300 knots if its going to build a six-placer at all. That would be a hell of a plane! A Piper Meridian for maybe half the cost.

Fanciful stuff. But the Klapmeiers are extremely ambitious fellows . . . I’m sure it’s one their mind.

One clue from my recent conversation with Alan. He wants to make hard IFR flying both easy and safe . . . IFR for the masses. That’s ambitious. But that’s how Alan thinks.

1. Which leads to a question: Can Cirrus make the fuel tanks larger for the SR22.

Yes, the wings will be 2 feet longer, with bigger tanks. I wouldn’t be surprised if the useful load is > 1200 lbs (extra wing area helps).

I would guess somewhat higher than that. Bear in mind a “C” model Sr20 is already up to $220K, and I don’t think there will be any “A” model SR22s.

You can bet a 6 place (SR26??) is in the Klapmeier’s minds. But in any case, the Bonanaza is not a true 6 seater (fill the seats with standard bodies, and you can load about an hour’s fuel, with no baggage, so it’s really just a roomy 4 seater), and the SR20 already does everything the Commander can do (it’s only a 160KT plane) at a fraction of the purchase and running costs.