used SR20

I am considering purchasing a used SR20 with approx. 100 hours…the owner says his SR22 will arrive within a couple of months. After reviewing postings…it appears to me that the big issue is the transponder. It seems most of the frustrations are with delays and potential financial issues. But, the SR 20 when compared to a 182 Skylane and Piper Archer 111 appears far superior. So, other than the occasional bitching innate in humans…is this a really awesome plane for a new private pilot or what else would be available in this price range??? Thanks for your responses.

Michelle

So, other than the occasional bitching innate in humans…is this a really awesome plane…?
Michelle
Michelle,
Yes!

• Mike.

After reviewing postings…it appears to me that the big issue is the transponder.

As mentioned in other posts, I think that’s a mis-reading of the reports. There is at least one person who has had chronic transponder problems. Most people have not. In the last two weeks I’ve had to make three long trips, Northern Calif-Southern Calif and back. No xpdr problems in those 20 hours of flying. In fact, I’ve never had them except in remote-territory circumstances.

what else would be available in this price range???
Look around and see if you find ANYthing remotely comparable in the price range.

it appears to me that the big issue is the transponder.

Since I have been following this board the issues have been transponder, very hard starting in cold weather, landing lights repeatedly failing, vaucuum pump failures, centuary HISI failures, … The issues are raised, become accepted as “fact”, and are no longer mentioned. Although someon will post their theory of the cause, I have yet to hear an authoritative (read Cirrus provided) resolution on any of them.

…is this a really awesome plane for a new private pilot…???

Michelle

Michelle,

I missed the “new private pilot” in my first response. I reserve judgement on that one; I can’t give a responsible answer without knowing you. For some new private pilots, this might be too much airplane - too much to look at in the cockpit, a little fast on the approach; for others, those avionics and the responsive handling on final approach make this airplane a pleasure.

In the end, I think you have to answer this one for yourself.

• Mike.

Michelle,

I am not aware of any pilot concluding an introductory SR20 flight with the words, “nice, but I sure like the visibility, handling, comfort, speed and responsiveness of my 182.”

…is this a really awesome plane for a new private pilot or what else would be available in this price range??? Thanks for your responses.

Michelle

“AOPA Pilot” back in March, 1999 did a cover story on “Sweet Smell of New: Aircraft for the Next Millenium.” (The Cirrus SR 20 was the cover plane, incidentally -yes, I save all 'zines with Cirrus stuff.)

The author put the SR 20 into a group labelled “Step-up Singles.” Other members of the group were the Lancair Columbia 300, Mooney Eagle, Commander 114B, Cessna Skylane, Socata Trinidad TB20, and a Columbian built Gavilan 358 (which was not yet certified in the US at the time.)

Price: the above cost more for the same model year as the Cirrus. To be in the same price range, you would need to look at older models.

It would be worthwhile to consult your CFI, who knows you and who will no doubt be familiar with one or more of the above a/c, as to whether he/she thinks it would be a good match for you, additional training expectations, etc. Also, try talking to the folks at Wings Aloft. I believe they have had a good deal of experience by now training newer pilots with the SR 20. I know that in the past we have had forum participants who were newer pilots and had just taken delivery of their SR 20.

Three years ago, I was told by a knowledgeable Cirrus rep that the main problem for a newer pilot transitioning to the SR 20 would be the same problem facing the pilot with a move to any faster a/c: being “behind the airplane.” This makes adequate training at the time of acquiring the a/c (any a/c) a must.

In order to gain a frame of reference, try getting checked out in different planes. I had luck at one time doing an internet search for different rental planes in driving distance of me. The more planes you’ve flown, the more you’ll probably like the Cirrus! (The many enhanced safety features also make it very appealing.)

Good luck!

So, other than the occasional bitching innate in humans…is this a really awesome plane…?

Michelle

Yes. With one caveat. If you believe you will need to carry 4 people often and/or over high mountains such as the Sierras, then the SR20, in my opinion is not for you. In that one case alone, you might find something better.

Otherwise, snap it up while you can!

As mentioned in other posts, I think that’s a mis-reading of the reports. There is at least one person who has had chronic transponder problems. Most people have not.

Jim you are very right,

Doctors also only see sick people. The cured ones stay away and are replaced by other being ill !

But do doctors think al people are ill ?

what else would be available in this price range???
Look around and see if you find ANYthing remotely comparable in the price range.

Old aircraft !

And i think the SR20 is one of the few (only ?) planes that sell for the same or a higher price than original.

Jaap

…is this a really awesome plane for a new private pilot…???

Michelle

Michelle,

I missed the “new private pilot” in my first response. I reserve judgement on that one; I can’t give a responsible answer without knowing you. For some new private pilots, this might be too much airplane - too much to look at in the cockpit, a little fast on the approach; for others, those avionics and the responsive handling on final approach make this airplane a pleasure.

In the end, I think you have to answer this one for yourself.

• Mike.

Thanks Mike…i have been cautioned by others as well…hope i can return the favor one day