Unusual Attitudes in IMC

post was split from click herethis thread

In reply to:

Was the accident pilot involved in a struggle to interpret conflicting instrument indications?

Steve,
With the usual “I don’t want to speculate (although I am going to anyway)” disclaimer, it does seem that the pilot of the recent SR22 crash in Florida was struggling to interpret his instruments. Whether those instruments were conflicting may never be known, but regardless, it is another accident that drives home the point for examining and reexamining our own flying habits and judgment.

Even the best of pilots can become temporarily disoriented, and two tools we have to win that battle in a pinch are lots of proper training and currency. LetÂ’s continue to make use of those tools!

The referenced accident may end up having nothing to do with instruments (failed or otherwise), but just by appearing to be related, it is a good reminder for the rest of us how fast IMC can turn dangerous.

AMEN Andy!!!

In reply to:

It is another accident that drives home the point for examining and reexamining our own flying habits and judgment.

I should clarify this point. Any aircraft accident (caused by mechanical failure, pilot error, or a combination) is a good reminder to reevaluate your (my) flying habits and judgments.
I’m not making any judgments at all against the Florida accident pilot.