SR20 Accident

Regarding the recent crash of the SR20 in the Southwest, has anyone heard anything about the possible cause of this? It was mentioned in a recent AOPA e-article, but that’s the last I’ve heard on the matter.

High altitude. Possible freezing rain. Weight on heavy side . . . two men and a teenage boy, plus luggage to support a trip from WI to AZ and back. The SR20 full fuel payload is slightly under 500 pounds.

Pilot was well trained and well regarded.

Regarding the recent crash of the SR20 in the Southwest, has anyone heard anything about the possible cause of this? It was mentioned in a recent AOPA e-article, but that’s the last I’ve heard on the matter.

Here is the NTSB preliminary narrative:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20010423X00798&key=1

While this is preliminary, etc, the crucial facts seem to be:

• non-instrument rated pilot

• flying in instrument weather conditions

• through the mountains

You have to wonder if making GA aircraft mechanically safer and easier to fly will lead to more accidents involving pilot overconfidence.

High altitude. Possible freezing rain. Weight on heavy side . . . two men and a teenage boy, plus luggage to support a trip from WI to AZ and back. The SR20 full fuel payload is slightly under 500 pounds.

Was this a fatal accident?? Was the chute activated?

TR

How about not even close! From what I understand it is a controlled flight into terrian. How about scud running under the clouds over a mountian top at night and then a higher ridge in the flight path in a dark desert. Without a instrument rating or flight plan this sounds like a recipe for disaster. This is a tragic event, but lets not assume that it is any diffrent from any other imc accident. My heart goes out to the family and a fellow 20 driver, but we must look at the whole picture. I would like to think that SRXX drivers are smarter than anyone else in the air, but this may be a stupid assumption on my part…ED

It was fatal (3 casualties) and the chute was apparently not activated prior to impact. Initial reports suggest the weather was bad, and the plane impacted rising terrain in a straight and level attitude.

It was fatal (3 casualties) and the chute was apparently not activated prior to impact. Initial reports suggest the weather was bad, and the plane impacted rising terrain in a straight and level attitude.

To add to the facts listed in the above string:

The aircraft appeared to have impacted the mountain in a straight and level attitude. The slope was aabout 40 degrees.

As the NTSB report said, the charges of the parachute did go off. However, this was most likely caused by the impact, NOT the pilot pulling the T-Handle or the fire.

Evidence: The cover of the parachute was found very close to the wreckage. Had it been deployed prior to impact, the cover would have been elsewhere. The most likely causes of the discharge were either the G forces associated with a 150 - 160 KTAS impact into a mountain or the distortion of the rear cabin upon impact stretching the cable and activating the chute.

There was really nothing left of the ac.I am sure he was scud running it as nothing else to do for him in poor conditions.He couldn’t File as he never got his IFR ticket.The Cemetary is full of those guys who tried the same stunt thousands of times.Post fire consumed most of the wreckage.He was I am sure looking for better VFR conditions then wammo ! Let this be a lesson.

There was really nothing left of the ac.I am sure he was scud running it as nothing else to do for him in poor conditions.He couldn’t File as he never got his IFR ticket.The Cemetary is full of those guys who tried the same stunt thousands of times.Post fire consumed most of the wreckage.He was I am sure looking for better VFR conditions then wammo ! Let this be a lesson.

We can all second guess Doug’s decisions and emotions, but I don’t think that any pilot plans to crash. Events overtake the situation and the pilot’s abilities to cope with them. Unfortunately, Doug and his family have paid the ultimate price.

Clearly better planning may have resulted in a totally different outcome, but since none of us really know what was involved from the moment he started planning the flight until the accident, it is tough to criticize. We have the NTSB for that anyway.

It is amazing how many accident reports contain decisions which when looked at after the fact are the type that we all have said, “How stupid. I’d never do that!” Somehow, some very expereinced and cautious pilots make those mistakes, day after day.

We all learn from mistakes, and learning from others’ mistakes is usually a lot less painfull. Let’s live and learn.

We can all second guess Doug’s decisions and emotions, but I don’t think that any pilot plans to crash. Events overtake the situation and the pilot’s abilities to cope with them. Unfortunately, Doug and his family have paid the ultimate price.

Clearly better planning may have resulted in a totally different outcome, but since none of us really know what was involved from the moment he started planning the flight until the accident, it is tough to criticize. We have the NTSB for that anyway.

It is amazing how many accident reports contain decisions which when looked at after the fact are the type that we all have said, “How stupid. I’d never do that!” Somehow, some very expereinced and cautious pilots make those mistakes, day after day.

Is there really such thing as an experienced VFR only pilot?

We all learn from mistakes, and learning from others’ mistakes is usually a lot less painfull. Let’s live and learn.

How about not even close! From what I understand it is a controlled flight into terrian. How about scud running under the clouds over a mountian top at night and then a higher ridge in the flight path in a dark desert. Without a instrument rating or flight plan this sounds like a recipe for disaster. This is a tragic event, but lets not assume that it is any diffrent from any other imc accident. My heart goes out to the family and a fellow 20 driver, but we must look at the whole picture. I would like to think that SRXX drivers are smarter than anyone else in the air, but this may be a stupid assumption on my part…ED

Fine, but scud-running doesn’t sound like Doug. My guess is that he ran out of lift owing to altitude, ice, and perhaps too much weight.