UK Cirrus Fly-in 21st September EGBT

I flew to Schiphol for IBC last weekend, then on to Eelde Monday to have my HSI fixed.

General Enterprises said “do you want you plane washed”. Embarassed me said yes please, It hasn’t been really clean for months… (damn bugs)

They must have a special facility to wash the planes in their well equipped maint. shop.

When I returned the next day N147CD was sparkling like new.

The nose wheel fairing, and under the cowl, wings were all perfect…

I flew back to Denham in 2:15 with a small (7knot) head wind and fairly low level. (3000’).

Boy I noticed the difference. Don’t let anyone say that the bugs on the wings and cowl don’t make a difference, I would swear I was getting another 10 knots!

I’m never going to let my plane get buggy again!

The HSI you ask? Well the replacement from Century was faulty on arrival, DI operational CDI not. Ah well, better than it was, but I need to wait for HSI number 4 I guess.

Hospitallity fantastic as always!

Ian

Mike,
Excellent! My favourite books by Der Milligan are http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140023747/Puckoon (about a small town on the border between Ulster and the Free State) and the six (!) volumes of his war memoirs, beginning with http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140035206/Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall.

Cheers,
Roger (a closet batter-pudding hurler)

In reply to:

Knees

Always keep your knees in front!
Don’t let them slide behind!
Knees that get behind you
Are difficult to find!

Mike, when you met Roger at Cirrus in January, did he show you how he can “walk backwards?” Puts above poem in a completely different perspective!

In reply to:

Excellent! My favourite books by Der Milligan are Puckoon (about a small town on the border between Ulster and the Free State) and the six (!) volumes of his war memoirs, beginning with Adolf Hitler: My Part in his Downfall.

Cheers,
Roger (a closet batter-pudding hurler)

Roger,

Yup - those are among my favorites, too. Also, whichever book it was that included the short story, “How To Make a Foon” (to open the crate, just use the crowbar that you’ll find inside…). I don’t remember which book that was - do you?

I, too, have been known to hurl the odd batter-pudding, especially if it’s made with Mham and Meigs. It’s an ill wind that blows nobody any good, or in the case of batter-pudding (being British), a cross wind. [;)]

Mike.

Ah the immortal Milligan! Don’t forget the Goons with Peter Sellars and Harry Seacombe!

Call me old fashioned , but that was great humor and they didn’t need to resort to swearing like they do today!

Long live Eccles!

Regards,

In reply to:

did he show you how he can “walk backwards?”

Nope…

Roger… how 'bout posting a movie?

Mike.

Ian,
I’m been out on this matter plus or less like your reasons…
My wife start to be very tired of all my time spent on “Cirrus matter”. Maybe she is very anxios that I receive my airplane just for spend finally some time togethere in fly with my sons also.
To add that also my wife is never been happy of all my time spent at my job and, you will understand well because I’ll not attend you UK-Cirrus-Fly-In.

I wish to all will attend this Cirrus fly-in a wonderfull day!

Kind regards

With luck we should now have some cheese for the mice!

For those of you that have not yet decided if you can come on the 21st, here is some more information as to what is happening! Please let Ian and I know ASAP if you can come along and support this first ‘European’ event. Go on, you know it makes sense!

I’m trying to sort out some of the ‘domestics’ for the Cirrus Fly-in on the 21st and need some information from you all please.

I’ll be erecting my (mainly green) gazebo near where Turweston have allocated some space for you to park your aircraft, don’t forget to bring some fold up chairs with you if you can please, I only have four to bring with me!

I have organised a cold buffet for lunch and need to know if any of you are bringing guests with you. I also need to know if any of you are vegetarians or have any special dietary needs. The buffet will be served in the airfield cafe and will cost around £5 a head, I hope to have a copy of the menu available next week.

Our event coincides with an airfield open-day. If we are defeated by the weather, then I would like to know if you could change your plans to come on the 22nd instead? There is a Vintage Aircraft fly-in at Turweston on the
22nd, but this should not cause us any problems (all though I’d hardly call the Cirrus vintage!).

The following is a list of people attending (at the moment), if you know of any other Cirrus pilots (or future pilots/position holders) then PLEASE persuade them to come along!

Paul Rushton - Cirrus Historian and Logistics Organiser for the event
Graham Barnes - Position Holder UK SR22
Mike Glazer - SR20 N184CD
Andrew Cummins - SR22 N741CD
John Pritchard - SR22 N7UK
Ian Valentine - SR20 N147CD
Robin Taylor - SR22 N719C
Bill Middendorp - SR2? N???
Joe Kuttappa - Owner of Akki Aviation Services, for our UK maintenance questions and answers, and Judge of “Best Turned Out Aircraft”

There is also a very remote possibility that Han Klinkspoor may be able to re-arrange his commitments so that he can attend.

Han Klinkspoor - SR20 N144CD

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further
information.

Looking forward to meeting you all on the 21st.

Regards,

Well the UK fly-in happened yesterday, and I seemed like everyone except me managed to Turn up!

My HUGE thanks must go to Paul Rushton who stepped in to organise the logistics of the event, while I was “stuck” in beautiful flying weather in Scotland, looking after kids while their mum decided to visit her Dad on the south coast for his birthday…

For the benefit of me (and the others who were not there) can those that attended post some photo’s and reports to the site for us to enjoy?

Thanks again to Paul and Mike who made it all possible…

Ian

In reply to:

Long live Eccles!

Didn’t he fall in the water? [;)]

Mike.

He certainly did!

A dangerous individual as well! “don’t move these fingers are loaded!”

The Attached MP3 file is for aficionados only. Do not listen to it unless you are a Goon fan, or you’re likely to develop flip-flap knees, Jeeem!

• Mike.

Dear All,

The event was a great success and I guarantee LOTS of photos will be added soon! I’m still a bit ‘low tech’ when it comes to taking pictures, my films have to be developed, needless to say they are on their way to be developed already!

For the record, eight aircraft attended:

SR20’s
N184CD pilot Mike Glazer, base Turweston
N144CD pilot Han Kilinkspoor, base Lelystad
N265CD pilot Bill Middendorp, base Eelde
N154CD pilot Christian Schmiderer, base Biggin Hill

If anyone in Europe is hankering for a used SR20, then N154CD could be exactly what you are looking for! Why is he selling it? You guessed it, he has got himself an SR22!

SR22’s
N916CD pilot Richard Blain, base Redhill
N741CD pilot Andrew Cummins, base Cambridge
N7UK pilot John Pritchard, base Goodwood
N719CD pilot Robin Taylor, base Exeter

SR22 position holder Graham Barnes and his family also attended in Beech 76 G-GCCL.

Joe Kuttappa from Akki Aviation was on hand as were Bill Middendorop and Rob van Doorn from General Aviation to answer questions, do a couple of demo flights and talk to some prospective buyers who also attended the gathering!

The main talking point was converting Arnav systems to the Avidyne system and we were given a couple of demo’s in John and Richards machines already equipped with the Avidyne.

We were going to have a ‘best looking aircraft’ competition, but decided against it at the end. The simple reason being they are all new airplanes, they all look great and the only thing that would go against any one aircraft was the number of bug splats on it!

For my part, I’m one VERY happy enthusiast! Not only did I get to have a close look at eight Cirri and photograph them, meet some great people and made some new friends, but I got a lift from Henstridge to Turweston in Robin’s SR22 - N719CD. Robin even let me fly the plane for a while, I can’t tell you how thrilled I was!

On our way home Robin asked Turweston for a sharp left turn on departure, the controller said that he would have to turn very sharp to avoid entering restricted airspace… Robin replied, ‘no problem in this airplane’ and promptly proved it. It made the Piper Warrior in front of us look very tame!

I’d like to thank Ian for starting it all off, Mike for being the local contact, all the folk at Turweston and of course all of the pilots for bringing their machines to the event.

Are we going to do it again? You bet! Hopefully some time in May next year in Eelde!

I’ll post a more detailed response as soon as I can and will post those photos.

Regards,