Garmn Mode S AD

If you have a Garmin Mode S transponder, please review this article on ANN about a software glitch. Apparently Garmin will update your software and pay for the labor. Next to a perfect product, this is excellent customer service.

In reply to:

Garmin Mode S transponder, please review this article on ANN about a software glitch

Marty,

Mine is being installed next week. This is very timely. Will make sure mine has the upgraded SW. Thanks and I agree, nothing to complain about in the customer service department here [:)]

Roger

I noticed that there is a 330 and a 330D. What is the difference?

as long as it’s new, garmin has been shipping them with this version of software for 6 months or more. So you will be fine.

In reply to:

I noticed that there is a 330 and a 330D. What is the difference

Dennis,

Off the Garmin website, the 330D The GTX 330D contains all of the features of the GTX 330, and adds antenna diversity for improved visibility to TCAS-equipped aircraft flying above you.

I do not know what it takes to do that, perhaps another antenna? Maybe someone else knows.

In reply to:

I do not know what it takes to do that, perhaps another antenna?

Yup, I beleive the 330D allows two antenna connections, one on the top and one on the bottom. The idea is to have better reception of your transponder signal at TCAS-equipped aircraft above you.

Seems like I remember hearing that this will be required for the European Mode-S compliance requirements, but I must admit I don’t follow that stuff too closely!

Roland,

In reply to:

garmin has been shipping them with this version of software for 6 months or more

Thanks for the confirmation.