Those who forget the lessons of the past...

The weight gain of the cirrus is a huge issue. It makes my future C model a 2-place airplane capable of approx 700+ nautical mile IFR flights. To make it a 3 to 4 place craft, it will have to be allowed to raise its GW to (?)3100 lbs, with a resultant decrease in attainable altitude, and an increase in stall speed. The laws of physics won’t be overlooked. In addition, this airplane that was to rejuvenate the industry started with a 1996 price of about $140,000.00. “Value” was often used as the reason this airplane would stay with us, while Mooneys, Pipers, Commanders, and the origonal Cessna line disappeared.
Cirrus sould remain highly attentive to the details that equate with value,and avoid the temptation to keep reminding future buyers that Cirrus’ airplanes are far better values than the other avialable airplanes. Mooney’s competitors are NOT cirrus’ competition. Cirrus, to be successful as they define it, needs to outcompete Porche, BMW, Large watercraft, and second homes. We want NEW pilots; pilots who will want value.

So stick with the basics (UL, , price, top speed, comfort, 4 passengers, 700+nm) and sell thousands of planes. Spend your time on the SR22, and go the way of Lancaire/Mooney/Piper/Commander while selling hundreds of planes.
I would not have signed up to buy an SR20 had I known there would be a delay of over 2 years AFTER my stated date, and the plane would have degraded it’s flight characteristics so much from the initial presentation. It happens that I waited, and I’m glad I did. Nevertheless, I retain the same feeling that a more appropriate explaination is due regarding weights and flight characterists than a letter which simply states the new situation. It makes it harder to feel good about paying an added $9500 for a $5000 stormscope. I’m getting longer winded than Jim. aa

Your points are well taken regarding Cirrus’ real comnpetition, but for more traditional pilots I’d add used airplanes to the list. I sold my Cirrus contract (#373) about three months ago and bought an '85 TB20 (Socata Trinidad). It’s not as luxurious or modern as the SR20, but it has better performance in all respects (except fuel consumption – the 250 HP Lycoming burns about 12 GPH @ 65% economy cruise @ about 155 kts TAS). Its 75% power cruise is faster by 3 kts, it seats five, has 950+ NM range, will lift a ton, and it was $83K cheaper! (And it’s a “real” airplane, for us macho/masochist types, with a prop control, retractable gear, and everything!)

So far itÂ’s been dead reliable, too!

I have no regrets whatsoever at passing on the Cirrus, especially considering the teething problems and weight creep. There are a lot of other used planes out there, so Cirrus had better watch out…

Joe

The weight gain of the cirrus is a huge issue. It makes my future C model a 2-place airplane capable of approx 700+ nautical mile IFR flights. To make it a 3 to 4 place craft, it will have to be allowed to raise its GW to (?)3100 lbs, with a resultant decrease in attainable altitude, and an increase in stall speed. The laws of physics won’t be overlooked. In addition, this airplane that was to rejuvenate the industry started with a 1996 price of about $140,000.00. “Value” was often used as the reason this airplane would stay with us, while Mooneys, Pipers, Commanders, and the origonal Cessna line disappeared.
Cirrus sould remain highly attentive to the details that equate with value,and avoid the temptation to keep reminding future buyers that Cirrus’ airplanes are far better values than the other avialable airplanes. Mooney’s competitors are NOT cirrus’ competition. Cirrus, to be successful as they define it, needs to outcompete Porche, BMW, Large watercraft, and second homes. We want NEW pilots; pilots who will want value.

So stick with the basics (UL, , price, top speed, comfort, 4 passengers, 700+nm) and sell thousands of planes. Spend your time on the SR22, and go the way of Lancaire/Mooney/Piper/Commander while selling hundreds of planes.
I would not have signed up to buy an SR20 had I known there would be a delay of over 2 years AFTER my stated date, and the plane would have degraded it’s flight characteristics so much from the initial presentation. It happens that I waited, and I’m glad I did. Nevertheless, I retain the same feeling that a more appropriate explaination is due regarding weights and flight characterists than a letter which simply states the new situation. It makes it harder to feel good about paying an added $9500 for a $5000 stormscope. I’m getting longer winded than Jim. aa

But Joe thats a fifteen year old plane with none of the cool stuff the Cirrus has and no chute! (family and freinds say no chute no fly) and have you checked the price of a new Cessna

So far it¹s been dead reliable, too!

I have no regrets whatsoever at passing on the Cirrus, especially considering the teething problems and weight creep. There are a lot of other used planes out there, so Cirrus had better watch out…

Joe