The true service ceiling

The SR20 service ceiling is listed at 17,500. My recollection of the FARs is that 17,500 feet is the highest altitude that an SR20 can con’t to climb at 200 fpm while at max gross wt.

I have been pestering the cirrus pilots and later (at OSH) the Hartzell techies about the differing characteristics of the 2 vs 3 bladed prop. I feel comfortable with my consensus answer: there is not much difference, but that which exists would be a slight climb advantage to the 3-blade, and a slight (up to 3 knot) top speed advantage to the 2 blade up until moderate altitudes.
Having gone through all that: have any of the real SR-20 pilots got a feel for their top speeds and climb rates, both at moderate (8000 ft) altitude and high altitude (15000 ft)? I’d love to hear some real-life numbers from both 2-blade and 3-blade cirrus owners.
N204AK (still #158).

Although I have limited experience in an SR20 (all of one hour, mostly spent drooling on myself), I understand the main difference between the 2 and 3 blade prop is noise and vibration. The three blade prop is supposed to be quieter and smoother, much smoother.

Other than that, performance differences are supposed to be marginal.

Being a cheap person (it’s called “Charleston Cheap” in these parts; I originally wanted the no-frills 2 blade prop, venturi vacuum system with used radios model SR20), I was recently talked into the 3 blade prop for the reduced vibration.

Hey, I am now thinking about going all the way with a “C” model, leather and deluxe cup holders.

(those Cirrus guys ‘do’ know how to sell…)

Mark

The SR20 service ceiling is listed at 17,500. My recollection of the FARs is that 17,500 feet is the highest altitude that an SR20 can con’t to climb at 200 fpm while at max gross wt.

I have been pestering the cirrus pilots and later (at OSH) the Hartzell techies about the differing characteristics of the 2 vs 3 bladed prop. I feel comfortable with my consensus answer: there is not much difference, but that which exists would be a slight climb advantage to the 3-blade, and a slight (up to 3 knot) top speed advantage to the 2 blade up until moderate altitudes.
Having gone through all that: have any of the real SR-20 pilots got a feel for their top speeds and climb rates, both at moderate (8000 ft) altitude and high altitude (15000 ft)? I’d love to hear some real-life numbers from both 2-blade and 3-blade cirrus owners.
N204AK (still #158).

If you can really use the Vx-Vy speed range for an extended period at altitude without overheating engine or oil, then 17,500 is probably realistic. If higher speeds are required to keep temps in an acceptable range, then you’ll need the patience of Job to get there and it won’t be at 200 fpm.