Swarm of Cirri

It was a big Cirrus day today. I was out flying with Woody McClendon (ex-Cirrus salesman) and we noticed one sitting on the ramp at SJC. Later in the day we heard a flight of two leaving MRY for SJC. Shortly thereafter, Walt crossed our path at MRY (literally, as they sent him to 28R and we were on approach for 28L.)

I of course gave Woody a fair amount of grief for contributing to this sad situation.

On the up side, by the time I get mine next month, the controllers in the area will be well-versed with the type…

(Of course, this all could have been exactly two aircraft, or perhaps only one and done with mirrors.)

–Dave

Water water everywhere yet not a drop to drink.

With all these Cirri, you would think I could catch a glimpse!

It was a big Cirrus day today. I was out flying with Woody McClendon (ex-Cirrus salesman) and we noticed one sitting on the ramp at SJC. Later in the day we heard a flight of two leaving MRY for SJC. Shortly thereafter, Walt crossed our path at MRY (literally, as they sent him to 28R and we were on approach for 28L.)

I of course gave Woody a fair amount of grief for contributing to this sad situation.

On the up side, by the time I get mine next month, the controllers in the area will be well-versed with the type…

(Of course, this all could have been exactly two aircraft, or perhaps only one and done with mirrors.)

–Dave

Actually we were proud to beat a Lear into the ramp! Ed Boland, flying N157CD, was the lead flight and I was simply his wing man. Some great air to air shots. Although I have to confess that I couldn’t figure out why Ed was so much faster than I was early on in the trip from San Luis Obispo until I realized that I forgot to pull up my flaps after take off! Can’t believe I forgot to do that … there is first for everything. Even with flaps down I beat a Lear!

Dave, welcome back to God’s country.

Actually we were proud to beat a Lear into the ramp! Ed Boland, flying N157CD, was the lead flight and I was simply his wing man. Some great air to air shots. Although I have to confess that I couldn’t figure out why Ed was so much faster than I was early on in the trip from San Luis Obispo until I realized that I forgot to pull up my flaps after take off! Can’t believe I forgot to do that … there is first for everything. Even with flaps down I beat a Lear!

Dave, welcome back to God’s country.

Sounds like it was two aircraft then; 157CD sounds like the tail number I saw at SJC.

I was only away from God’s country for the afternoon. Santa Barbara felt closer to Satan’s country, at least based on the temp. :wink:

Dave is not kidding. I don’t remember it ever

being this hot in Santa Barbara. Also, the

lapse rate is funny: it gets hotter for

a few thousand feet before it starts cooling

down again.

Speaking of swarms: I just saw 149CD and 7654T

on the ramp…but no crew in sight. I was

thrilled for the opportunity to show my sister what an SR20 looks like!

Glenn

I used to fly out of Naval Postgraduate School flying club at Monterey in the mid-70’s, and the first time I climbed out of the cold marine layer and felt that blast of hot California air above it I thought the firewall had sprung a leak!

Took some getting used to.

Joe

Dave is not kidding. I don’t remember it ever

being this hot in Santa Barbara. Also, the

lapse rate is funny: it gets hotter for

a few thousand feet before it starts cooling

down again.

Speaking of swarms: I just saw 149CD and 7654T

on the ramp…but no crew in sight. I was

thrilled for the opportunity to show my sister what an SR20 looks like!

Glenn

I used to fly out of Naval Postgraduate School flying club at Monterey in the mid-70’s, and the first time I climbed out of the cold marine layer and felt that blast of hot California air above it I thought the firewall had sprung a leak!

Took some getting used to.

Joe

Indeed, Watsonville gets a similar inversion effect. This time of year is the hot season, as the fog isn’t around as much to moderate the temperature. On the really hot days, an inversion is pretty much guaranteed when the onshore breezes start in midafternoon.

I’ve had several occasions where it was 95 degrees at pattern altitude and low 60s on the ground. Now that’s relief!