Status on Hawaii Ferry (currently airborne)

Just thought you all might like to know that Cirrus N769LB SR-22 G2 on it’s way from Oakland, is now 700nm from Maui, the pilot has been airborne for 10 hours and has encountered headwinds and will be arriving in another 4 more hours. (It is now 4:15pm Hawaii Time) Everything running smoothly…

In reply to:

Just thought you all might like to know that Cirrus N769LB SR-22 G2 on it’s way from Oakland, is now 700nm from Maui, the pilot has been airborne for 10 hours and has encountered headwinds and will be arriving in another 4 more hours. (It is now 4:15pm Hawaii Time) Everything running smoothly…

Laurence,

That is absolutely amazing! You must be sooooooooo excited! [:)]

Laurence,

I’d love to read about the logistics for this. How much additional fuel on board? What special radios and emergency equipment? In the event of an engine failure, would the ferry pilot ditch or pull the 'chute?

Rick

He took off with 246 gallons. Supposedly should land with 60-70 gallons remaining! He would have to ditch, the chute would be pulled after the ditch to make a big target, but according to Doug Ritter www.equipped.com he said the preferred method is a controlled ditch above stall speed in the water. I believe that if the chute was pulled the aircraft would dunk underwater which would not be a good thing, however Doug said that since it is composite and fuel is lighter than water it should float for a little while, especially after exiting the aircraft and then shutting the doors. I purchased a Winslow life raft $3,000 that we will keep and it is top of the line. He has HF radio and is in touch with ARINC, that is how I got the position report.

Never forget the first time I saw my ride. Congradulations, I can’t wait to see it in person. I will be there in 2006 for a meeting.

In reply to:

He took off with 246 gallons.

Am I correct to assume that your plane took off over 600 pounds over gross?

In reply to:

I will be there in 2006 for a meeting.

endo meeting? [:)]

In reply to:

endo meeting?

It is not on Maui, but somehow I manage to get in a few days of diving and sleeping before the endo meeting starts. Be there or be square, I am sure JerryA will be there too.

Call me and I will pick you up!
1-87690-BalterFamilywiththeirnewCirrus.jpg

In reply to:

Am I correct to assume that your plane took off over 600 pounds over gross?

He obtained a ferry permit for it. Flew just fine.

Most planes will fly well over gross as long as the balance is within the envelope. Even outside the envelope it will still fly. Just may not be as stable.
The real problem is the fact that all the performance charts go out the window so you are, in essence, a test pilot when you fly in this condition.
But, given a long enough runway, adjustments for change in “V” speeds and different surface ceiling limitations, many ferry flights take place just fine.