3rd. Party Equipment

I should be receiving my plane sometime next month(SN1041) and plan to upgrade some avionics. 744AC will be an A config. with altitude hold, leather, and 3 blades. I plan on swapping out the GTX 320 for the GTX 327, and was quoted $1,170 with trade. I also plan to ad the GPS steering module and was quoted $1,950.

I am wondering if any other SR-20 drivers out there have done this and how much they have paid?

Hap -Sounds like some good choices. Would Cirrus not provide these upgrades? Is there a convenient place for the GPS steering module? - Jim DeVries

I should be receiving my plane sometime next month(SN1041) and plan to upgrade some avionics. 744AC will be an A config. with altitude hold, leather, and 3 blades. I plan on swapping out the GTX 320 for the GTX 327, and was quoted $1,170 with trade. I also plan to ad the GPS steering module and was quoted $1,950.

I am wondering if any other SR-20 drivers out there have done this and how much they have paid?

I certainly have thought about the 327, but haven’t gone so far as to get quotes. I will most interested in your experience.

If you haven’t you may want to consider getting a custom cover for the plane. I ordered and just received a set from Bruce’s custom covers. It is great. Even more surprising is the fit of the Sun Shields, which I also ordered. They are great and much easier to install for quick trips when you don’t want to sun to bake your AC insides … and they are cheaper. Total bill was less than $600. If anyone is interested you can call and order at 800-777-6405. THey are in Sunnyvale, CA.

Hap, I too will go with the 327 and the GPSS. I just sent my ‘pre-6 month’ ?? package back and requested both mods. I’m not sure that I will get one or both, but it’s worth a try.

Please let me know if the 327 is a simple swap for the 320 or if ther is a new mounting tray and wiring involved.

I’d also love to hear your comments about the difference in the GPSS.

Thanks, Marty (#119 & still waiting)

(jatiii@aol.com)

Hap -Sounds like some good choices. Would Cirrus not provide these upgrades? Is there a convenient place for the GPS steering module? - Jim DeVries

Jim - CD shows no desire in doing these!

I was just at the factory, and specifically asked them if I could pay the difference or more, and get the GTX327 instead of the 320. I’m sure that within the next couple of years it will be the “standard”. Anyway, they said that right now they couldn’t do it because it required some different wiring. In their defense, they don’t want to do anything right now that will slow down production in anyway. They need delivered planes, that create needed revenue. It probably won’t be available until they add the few extra wires and just make it standard equipment.

Hap, I was told by Cirrus that they are not cert. for the aircraft and are not available yet. In all fairness they have to plan ahead for production, so they may have 500 old transponders in the factory. But on the up side they have locked your price in for a pretty good bird.Dammed if you do Dammed if you dont, there is nothing worse than having your bird ready but your new transponder is back ordered due to demand!

Jim - CD shows no desire in doing these!

If you haven’t you may want to consider getting a custom cover for the plane. I ordered and just received a set from Bruce’s custom covers. It is great. Even more surprising is the fit of the Sun Shields, which I also ordered. They are great and much easier to install for quick trips when you don’t want to sun to bake your AC insides … and they are cheaper. Total bill was less than $600.

Could you post a picture???

Thanks!

I second that, please post a photo for all of

us poor souls who will never have a hangar!

This is not directed at Walt, since several pictures of his pioneer craft grace the site. But how about a snapshot or two from any/all existing owners not represented on the site? It is interesting to see these things in their different locales, and adds plausibility to the idea that they actually exist. If you don’t have a digital camera, I bet you could mail a normal photo to Clyde and he could scan it (right Clyde?).
Thanks from the wannabe crowd. jf

If you don’t have a digital camera, I bet you could mail a normal photo to Clyde and he could scan it (right Clyde?).

Right, but you can also get your photos converted into digital form at most photo-processing shops these days, especially Kodak. I can take any picture format, I will convert it into a JPEG for the web page.

Clyde

I got an email reply from Garmin stating that the 327 works as slide-in replacement for the 320 but that other wires must be hooked up for the additional options like the flight timer to work.

Hap, I too will go with the 327 and the GPSS. I just sent my ‘pre-6 month’ ?? package back and requested both mods. I’m not sure that I will get one or both, but it’s worth a try.

Please let me know if the 327 is a simple swap for the 320 or if ther is a new mounting tray and wiring involved.

I’d also love to hear your comments about the difference in the GPSS.

Thanks, Marty (#119 & still waiting)

(jatiii@aol.com)