SR20 W&B problem

I’m a low-time pilot (100 hrs) and have the opportunity to move into an SR20 to train for my instrument rating. However, before committing to an ownership share, I ran a w&b, and found that the CG was too far forward, and I was unable to put enough weight aft to bring the w&b into the envelope. Being 265 lbs + a 200 lb instructor, it seems illogical that we are within the envelope on a 160 hp trainer, but not on this otherwise wonderful 200 hp aircraft. Can this be correct?

In reply to:

Can this be correct?

Nope. By my calc, your posted #s plus full fuel will give you a ramp weight of 2911 lbs and a C.G. of 143.5, which is just INSIDE the forward edge of the envelope, assuming a basic empty weight of 2110 lbs and a C.G. of 141.3.

Are you using real numbers for the weight and balance, or the sample numbers given in the training material? The sample numbers are quite different to the real numbers (CG too far forward).

However I’d suggest your personal W&B also contributes to the problem.

ncpilot,

I’m guessing you fly in North Carolina and I was wondering in what area. I fly out of the Fayetteville area and am thinking about the SR20 and possibly partnerships.

In reply to:

which is just INSIDE the forward edge

Better not take off with a heavy cold then. [;)]

Just gotta back off the fuel a little bit, and maybe add some weight in the baggage compartment. Fill it to the tabs plus 8 a side, i.e. 42 gallons, throw 30 lbs in the baggage compartment, and you should be fine, just inside the envelope. There’s a C.G. compromise you’ve got to make in this plane, as you do in many others. You can’t load it up like a 172, but you can get there a lot faster and in much more style :wink:

p.s. I ran the figures on my plane, which weighs in at 2159 with a moment of 304.325

My Spreadsheet shows him out of the Envelope at takeoff, with full fuel.

In reply to:

My Spreadsheet shows him out of the Envelope at takeoff, with full fuel.

and mine shows him well within limits if he takes off with 40 gal, 2136 empty weight and 45 # misc junk

In reply to:

Are you using real numbers for the weight and balance, or the sample numbers given in the training material? The sample numbers are quite different to the real numbers (CG too far forward).
However I’d suggest your personal W&B also contributes to the problem.

Thanks for the input on my personal w&b - I didn’t know my wife also posted to this site!

I have been using an empty weight of 2149, which I believe is the actual empty weight of the aircraft I may use.

In reply to:

I have been using an empty weight of 2149, which I believe is the actual empty weight of the aircraft I may use.

I used 2150 in my Spread Sheet, which showed you slightly out of the envelope at full fuel. 50 lbs in the baggage compartment, put in on the line.

Disclaimer: I’m far from an expert!

In reply to:

Make sure you’re using the actual arm for the Basic Empty Weight, this will be more important than the weight itself.

Clyde

I fly out of Concord. But the SR20 is a nonstarter if I can’t get reasonably within the envelope - flying with less than full fuel in a fractional ownership situation doesn’t seem like the easiest thing to accomplish, logistically. (Tanks usually get topped off.)