SR20 speeds

Long Island McArthur to Hyannis Ma passing 5500’ with an IAS of 121 and a 550fpm climb, GS was 191KT. Leveled off 7500’ at 221 KTgs/161TAS. 241Kt in descent.

Maybe 20+ years in a 145HP Skyhawk makes me appreciate my SR20 'cause the Hawk couldn’t reach that speed even if the wings fell off & it went straight down

John
SR20 N468JP
psyched!

In reply to:

Long Island McArthur to Hyannis Ma passing 5500’ with an IAS of 121 and a 550fpm climb, GS was 191KT. Leveled off 7500’ at 221 KTgs/161TAS. 241Kt in descent.

Maybe 20+ years in a 145HP Skyhawk makes me appreciate my SR20 'cause the Hawk couldn’t reach that speed even if the wings fell off & it went straight down

John
SR20 N468JP
psyched!

Last week I maintained 235 knots groundspeed in straight and level flight in my -20. That is by far the fastest I’ve ever gone. Hit 260 groundspeed in the descent!

Pittsburgh to DC in under 45 minutes!

Steve

how could you not love this plane

Steve,
Where’d you get the 'TURBO"???

In reply to:

how could you not love this plane

well, what I didn’t mention in my earlier post was that on climbout on the reverse leg of the trip described earlier, my GPSS actually disabled itself. Why? Because my groundspeed fell to 28 knots, and below 30 knots GPSS apparently shuts off! [:)]

Steve

That’s odd that the Garmin GPS stops showing speed below 30 knots. I flew my Warrior backward one time in a strong headwind…I watched my King 89B slowly tick down to zero (5-4-3-2-1) then start climbing again (1-2-3-4-5-etc) as my groundspeed went in reverse. I think I managed 7 knots…backwards. :wink:

Remember, the 430 has a sensor set at 30 Kts that does several things like start the in flight timer and the transponder. I wonder if the transponder turned off at 28 KGS?

In reply to:

That’s odd that the Garmin GPS stops showing speed below 30 knots.

I don’t think the groundspeed stops showing below 30 knots. Instead, GPSS won’t engage (or disengages) below 30 knots of groundspeed.

In reply to:

I wonder if the transponder turned off at 28 KGS?

Jerry,

It turns off at a GS that you can program. This I know, because one time, while climbing into the teeth of a very vigorous headwind, ATC asked me to check my transponder… and the check showed it to be in Standby, with my GS at 25 kts. Pressing ALT to force Mode C fixed it - but it was embarrassing! I reprogrammed the Transponder after that to some lower speed.

• Mike.

In reply to:

I wonder if the transponder turned off at 28 KGS?

I thought about that afterwards, too, but didn’t think to look while I was there, the transponder not being a very critical part of my scan. [:)]

(To confirm for Dave, yes, the 430 continued to show the correct groundspeed. Only the GPSS [S-Tec GPS-Steering Autopilot Interface] disabled itself at 30 knots.)

Steve