speed

How many current owners have been able to consistenly get the speed out of their SR20’s at cruise that the POH says we should be getting. Adjusting for the environment i never seem to get the speed that the POH says I should be getting when i set up my cruise according to the performance checklist. I usually seem to be 3 to 7 knots slow.

How many current owners have been able to consistenly get the speed out of their SR20’s at cruise that the POH says we should be getting.

When VH-CRF arrived, it seemed to perform by the book. LAtely it has not been, and close examination of the tacho showed that the prop was not turning up to 2700rpm - was about 2600. It went into the shop earlier this week and they found the governor cable was stiff. So now the plane is grounded waiting for a replacement cable (not available in Oz, being expressed from the US). It will be interesting to see how the performance is after that’s fixed.

One thing to note is that any bugs on the leading edge will make a noticeable difference - keep the wing clean if you want to get the best performance. Also, if you enter rain (even very light) the speed will drop by at least 5 knots immediately.

I’ve also seen speed fluctuations in cruise with the autopilot on, which turned out to be due to mountain wave. I have seen about 10 knots variation, but one the other pilots in our group encountered wave activity which resulted in speeds ranging between 95-170 KIAS in level cruise! In smooth conditions with a moderate crosswind.

Keep in mind: the SR20 gets its 160 ktas on a 200hp engine. Truly amazing! The Commander 115, no slouch, does about the same on a Lycoming 540 — a 260hp engine.

One other comparison: The Archer III does 130 ktas on a Lycoming 360, the same-sized engine (though a 4-banger vs. the Cirrus 6) as the SR20.

How many current owners have been able to consistenly get the speed out of their SR20’s at cruise that the POH says we should be getting. Adjusting for the environment i never seem to get the speed that the POH says I should be getting when i set up my cruise according to the performance checklist. I usually seem to be 3 to 7 knots slow.

I’ve also seen speed fluctuations in cruise with the autopilot on, which turned out to be due to mountain wave. I have seen about 10 knots variation, but one the other pilots in our group encountered wave activity which resulted in speeds ranging between 95-170 KIAS in level cruise! In smooth conditions with a moderate crosswind.

Clyde: were these fluctuations with the autopilot on altitude hold? If so then the plane will try mightily to climb in a downdraft and dive through the updraft parts of the wave. Walt had a post a few months ago about such an experience of his on a return from So. Cal. to Monterey.

Clyde: were these fluctuations with the autopilot on altitude hold?

Yes, when I said “with the autopilot on” I meant “with the autopilot on and altitude hold engaged”. Actually, as I watched the altimeter, I could see the altitude varying a little bit, maybe +/- 10 feet, in sympathy with the airspeed.

When reading up on AP’s and their various functions, i came across the following [paraphrased] several times: ‘in mountainous areas, particularly when weather conditions are indicative, less powered aircraft with alt. hold on may want to keep an eye out for mountain waves, and disconnect and hand fly through them’ Now, I’ve never hit a wave that bad, but then again I’m flying in so. cal. I believe in a really signficant downdraft you are actually, if able, supposed to let the nose drop, airspeed build and fly through it as fast as possible. Yes?

I believe in a really signficant downdraft you are actually, if able, supposed to let the nose drop, airspeed build and fly through it as fast as possible. Yes?

Yes, that’s probably sound advice (a clearance to change level in controlled airspace would be handy :slight_smile: - just as a headwind is best dealt with by increasing speed, to minimize the time spent in it.

Incidentally these waves occurred in areas that I don’t really consider “mountainous” - but it was over an area which is basically an extensive tableland, and the wind was from the west, so would have been blowing over rising terrain. And the wind was not especially strong - 15 knots or so. But it is an area that is (so I am now told) known for waves.

Keep in mind: the SR20 gets its 160 ktas on a 200hp engine. Truly amazing! The Commander 115, no slouch, does about the same on a Lycoming 540 — a 260hp engine.

One other comparison: The Archer III does 130 ktas on a Lycoming 360, the same-sized engine (though a 4-banger vs. the Cirrus 6) as the SR20.

Not a fair comparison to the Archer. The Archer is actually 180 hp, and not a constant speed prop. Comparison to the Arrow would be more appropriate – a 200 hp, constant speed prop airplane.

Not a fair comparison to the Archer. The Archer is actually 180 hp, and not a constant speed prop. Comparison to the Arrow would be more appropriate – a 200 hp, constant speed prop airplane.

But the Arrow is also a retractable. Even so, Piper only claims 137kts at 75% cruise. You’re right, that is a better comparison (for Cirrus)!

This is true, but the price of the Archer is closer to the SR20. An Archer with dual Garmin 430’s and an HSI sells for about $230K new. This is still more than a “C” configuration SR20.

The Arrow, with dual 430’s, HSI, and System 55X autopilot is priced at $294K new. This is more than a SR22…

I currently own a Warrior, and I would like to see Piper stay in business, but I don’t see them selling many of these aircraft once the SR20 and SR22 are in full production.