SR20 Resale

Spotted an SR20 on the ramp at BNA (Nashville) yesterday.

Turns out a local guy bought it “used” (approx 60 hours).

The neat part was talking to the mechanic who was doing some work on it. He said the manuals were the best he’d seen and that the airplane was built like “the big ones” and that he was really impressed with it.

And so we wait.

Glad to hear that it was being worked on while I am out of town.

As you may have seen below on Hap’s August 4th post, Hap decided to sell his SR20 due to medical reasons.

After seeing his post, I responded quickly with a competitive offer (let’s leave it at that)and with his and other’s assistance was able to pick it up soon thereafter. As far as CD knows, this was the first secondary sale of the SR20.

I was in a time crunch to get the purchase settled, obtain insurance, and to take it back to Nashville (BNA). Hap, Cirrus, and Wings Aloft were all very helpful and enabled me to quickly get it all done.

I will post my impressions on the SR20, my flight back, and my training (all good of course) this weekend. My thoughts will bore most of you but some may find them interesting since I (and my wife who also got checked-out) are both new pilots (100 total hours).

Why is a mechanic checking out the airplane? Oil temp gauge went out. This aircraft has met two of the most commom problems. Hap had to have the transponder changed right before taking it back to his home in Chicago, and I had to have the flap relays replaced. Incidentally, the folks at Cirrus have been very helpful. While the warranties are fully transferable, I was a little worried that I would not get the attention that the original owners get. So far there has been no reason to worry. They have been great and very responsive!

The neat part was talking to the mechanic who was doing some work on it. He said the manuals were the best he’d seen and that the airplane was built like “the big ones” and that he was really impressed with it.

And so we wait.

Bill – Please don’t worry about “boring”. We’re hungry for details from the lucky few. I’d particularly like to hear about your insurance experience. I’m also a low timer, inactive for 25 years. But Cirrus peaked my interest, and now I have a couple of years to get my IFR ticket, wait for Cirrus, think about insurance, etc. Stories and details make the waiting easier.

As you may have seen below on Hap’s August 4th post, Hap decided to sell his SR20 due to medical reasons.

After seeing his post, I responded quickly with a competitive offer (let’s leave it at that)and with his and other’s assistance was able to pick it up soon thereafter. As far as CD knows, this was the first secondary sale of the SR20.

I was in a time crunch to get the purchase settled, obtain insurance, and to take it back to Nashville (BNA). Hap, Cirrus, and Wings Aloft were all very helpful and enabled me to quickly get it all done.

I will post my impressions on the SR20, my flight back, and my training (all good of course) this weekend. My thoughts will bore most of you but some may find them interesting since I (and my wife who also got checked-out) are both new pilots (100 total hours).

Why is a mechanic checking out the airplane? Oil temp gauge went out. This aircraft has met two of the most commom problems. Hap had to have the transponder changed right before taking it back to his home in Chicago, and I had to have the flap relays replaced. Incidentally, the folks at Cirrus have been very helpful. While the warranties are fully transferable, I was a little worried that I would not get the attention that the original owners get. So far there has been no reason to worry. They have been great and very responsive!

Congratulations. However, per my post above, your experience is just another example of the rediculously poor quality parts that are used in light plane aviation and and alarmingly in the Cirrus. Are we sniffing the roses too much. Or do we console ourselves with the thought that everything else is jsut as bad?

The general acceptance of regular part failures are normal in 2000 baffles me. A new plane should not have a raft of part failures. Why the lethargy among pilot/owners? Why does this seem acceptable? It doesn’t seem normal to me (until recently an outsider)?

I have driven five Toyota Cressidas and three Accura automobiles over 8,000,000 miles and I have yet to repair anything. And that’s in an industry where you just pull over if something breaks.

Either aviation is full of daredevils or it has a long long way to go. Pilots need open their eyes to some f the grim facts. Even ignoring the outragious price of parts and electronics, we’re playing for all the marbles up there and should demand more.

Comments welcome.

And so we wait.