SR20 B autopilot

I have a SR20 B for delivery 06/02 down under, it should come with Stec type 50X. Stec site and price list doesn’t show the model 50X anymore but CD is still including it in their spec sheet. Something to do with certification I presume ?

Does anyone knows about:

• 50 X certification ?
    What type of A/P are installed on currently delivered type B ?

PS

Great photographs of the desert and canyon on Dave’s site.

I have a SR20 B for delivery 06/02 down under, it should come with Stec type 50X. Stec site and price list doesn’t show the model 50X anymore but CD is still including it in their spec sheet. Something to do with certification I presume ?

Does anyone knows about:

• 50 X certification ?

The SR22B come with the S-Tec 55x A/P with Altitude Pre-Select. The latter is a seperate box mounted just below the glare shield to the left of the ARNAV display. It assists in intercepting targeted altitudes, setting rates of climb/descent and flying a coupled ILS with the A/P.

Together with the GNS 430, it is a wonderful piece of technology and now that I’ve flown with this A/P, I don’t know how I’ll fly without it!

Marty

Does anyone knows about:

• 50 X certification ?

The SR22B come with the S-Tec 55x A/P with Altitude Pre-Select. The latter is a seperate box mounted just below the glare shield to the left of the ARNAV display. It assists in intercepting targeted altitudes, setting rates of climb/descent and flying a coupled ILS with the A/P.

Together with the GNS 430, it is a wonderful piece of technology and now that I’ve flown with this A/P, I don’t know how I’ll fly without it!

Marty
Marty:

You really did not answer Jean’s question. The S-tec 50X autopilot has benn discontinued. This is due to the FAA having some concerns about the CWS system in the 50X. So only the 20 and 30 units as well as the 55X are being sold by S-tec. This CHANGES the “B”

package for the SR20. Right now the SR20 is being equipped with the 30X but that may change over time. Cirrus needs to change their specs due to this event.

Brian

Does anyone knows about:

• 50 X certification ?

Marty
Marty:

You really did not answer Jean’s question. The S-tec 50X autopilot has benn discontinued. This is due to the FAA having some concerns about the CWS system in the 50X. So only the 20 and 30 units as well as the 55X are being sold by S-tec. This CHANGES the “B”

package for the SR20. Right now the SR20 is being equipped with the 30X but that may change over time. Cirrus needs to change their specs due to this event.

Brian

Mea Culpa. You’re right. Thought he was speaking of the '22 “B” model. Need to read more carefully.

Sorry Jean.

Marty

Does anyone knows about:

• 50 X certification ?

Marty
Marty:

Brian

Brian, this is interesting because my partners and I have position #102 which is an “A” model SR22. The autopilot was to be the 50X. We’ve heard nothing from Cirrus about this and now are wondering whether the 55X will be standard for the “A” model. We’re in the first batch of A model 22’s due realistically in late Oct. 2001. Have any of you “A” people heard anything about this? I will query Cirrus about this.

Thanks for the quick feed back Marty and Brian, sooner or later CD will have to give us SR20B purchasers some type of proposal. The 50 X has much more capability than the 20/30

Jean Jacques

Mea Culpa. You’re right. Thought he was speaking of the '22 “B” model. Need to read more carefully.

Sorry Jean.

Marty

Jean Jacques,

This is a quote from the Cirrus Customer Update, 14 February 2001: “Currently some Cirrus SR20/SR22 aircraft have in their specifications S-TEC/Meggitt System 40X and 50X autopilots. You may have heard that due to some certification concerns these autopilots have been withdrawn from the market. It is not yet clear when, or if, these autopilots will return. Our strategy here is to “wait and see” and let the full picture emerge. As we get closer to building the affected SR20/SR22 aircraft we will, if necessary, announce alternative autopilot configurations.”

Hope this helps. Gary

Jean Jacques,

This is a quote from the Cirrus Customer Update, 14 February 2001: “Currently some Cirrus SR20/SR22 aircraft have in their specifications S-TEC/Meggitt System 40X and 50X autopilots. You may have heard that due to some certification concerns these autopilots have been withdrawn from the market. It is not yet clear when, or if, these autopilots will return. Our strategy here is to “wait and see” and let the full picture emerge. As we get closer to building the affected SR20/SR22 aircraft we will, if necessary, announce alternative autopilot configurations.”

Hope this helps. Gary

Gary and others:

This is what I was alluding to in my above message. But I have also talked to S-Tec and they say thereare NO PLANS to re introduce the 40X or 50X autopilot line. They are simply giving up on them so Cirrus does need to find an alternative for them.

Brian