SR20 Autopilot confusion

I checked out S-Tec’s website. The 30 and 50 have the seeming exact same feature list (the 30 is .9 lbs lighter). In fact, the 30 is listed as having an altitude hold. I don’t see any mention of the 50X. Is the 50X still available? What is the difference between each of these autopilots? Why doesn’t the SR20 support the system 30’s altitude hold capability?

Thanks,

Tom

I checked out S-Tec’s website. The 30 and 50 have the seeming exact same feature list (the 30 is .9 lbs lighter). In fact, the 30 is listed as having an altitude hold. I don’t see any mention of the 50X. Is the 50X still available? What is the difference between each of these autopilots? Why doesn’t the SR20 support the system 30’s altitude hold capability?

The SR20 indeed does “support” STEC30 and its altitude hold feature, and flies very nicely with it.

Tom, The "workings’ for the S-Tec 30 are mounted inside the turn coordinator; for the 50 a slot in the avionics stack is used. The 30 is apparently for those whose panel space is limited. The 50 will track the localizer back course, the 30 does not. Gary Phillips

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

I talked to S-Tec recently. Cirrus plans to offer the 40X autopilot on the “A”, the 50X on the “B” and the 55 on the “C” package. However, as of October 4, 2000, S-Tec has suspended sales of the 40X and 50X due to a problem with the FAA on potential problems with the control wheel steering aspect of these autopilots. Ironically, Cirrus does not have control wheel steering functions any any of the autopilot options. So, for now, only the 30 and 55 autopilot versions are available. S-Tec does not know when this issue will be resolved. Therefore, for the immediate future, Cirrus now only has 2 autopilot options to offer.

Brian

Also, the 50 has the capability to maintain rate of climb, as well as intercepting a localizer, non of which can be done on the 30. (The 30 can track a localizer, however.)

Tom, The "workings’ for the S-Tec 30 are mounted inside the turn coordinator; for the 50 a slot in the avionics stack is used. The 30 is apparently for those whose panel space is limited. The 50 will track the localizer back course, the 30 does not. Gary Phillips

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

I talked to S-Tec recently. Cirrus plans to offer the 40X autopilot on the “A”, the 50X on the “B” and the 55 on the “C” package. However, as of October 4, 2000, S-Tec has suspended sales of the 40X and 50X due to a problem with the FAA on potential problems with the control wheel steering aspect of these autopilots. Ironically, Cirrus does not have control wheel steering functions any any of the autopilot options. So, for now, only the 30 and 55 autopilot versions are available. S-Tec does not know when this issue will be resolved. Therefore, for the immediate future, Cirrus now only has 2 autopilot options to offer.

Brian

I’m contemplating purchasing an SR20 this year (wish I could afford an SR22 :frowning: ). Given that I won’t take delivery for two years, do you think the issue will be fixed by then and the 50X will be available? Would the plane I take delivery have the options available at time of purchase or time of delivery?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

Brian

I’m contemplating purchasing an SR20 this year (wish I could afford an SR22 :frowning: ). Given that I won’t take delivery for two years, do you think the issue will be fixed by then and the 50X will be available? Would the plane I take delivery have the options available at time of purchase or time of delivery?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

Your options are not chosen until a few months before delivery, not at the time of contract. The Cirrus plan has been to offer one autopilot for each of the packages but S-Tec is working out the issue with the FAA now concerning the 40X and 50X. no one knows how long that will take but it would seem that 2 years is enough time to work it out. Cirrus has also changed the autopilot options over time as they have gotten better. As of 2001, all the autopilots now have GPSS steering. In a year or 2 another new option may come out. S-Tec, not Cirrus, holds the cards on this one for now.

Brian