S-Tec System 55X

Where is Cirrus on the S-Tec 55X? I just received an s-Tec newsletter (subscribe online at their website) and they are praising the enhancements of the original 55, introduced back in the dark ages of avionics back in 1994. The 55X seems to be the next generation autopilot that I’d hate to miss.

Gary,

From everything I’ve read and heard, it’s installed with the SR20 ‘C’ and SR22 ‘B’ packages.

Chris

Where is Cirrus on the S-Tec 55X? I just received an s-Tec newsletter (subscribe online at their website) and they are praising the enhancements of the original 55, introduced back in the dark ages of avionics back in 1994. The 55X seems to be the next generation autopilot that I’d hate to miss.

On the SR20’s, it’s being put on the ones for which the base was $180,000 and beyond, with the C configuration.

Before you ask - people such as me, who were in earlier, can’t trade up, even for a price.

I spoke to Bruce Gunther the other day and asked about the situation with the 40X and 50X for the A and B models. S-Tec is not even going to try to certify these. According to Bruce, the only difference between the 20/30 and 40X/50X was the GPS coupling (I also notice that the System 40/50 also contain a backcourse mode and the 20/30 do not. I don’t know if this was in the 40X/50X). So, instead, Cirrus is going to include the GPS coupling option into the the 20/30 models as standard product.

I imagine this probably won’t apply to me, as I have yet to put down for a slot yet (soon :slight_smile: ), and I imagine S-Tec will be offering something different between now and the summer of 2003 ( :frowning: long wait, but, in the end, it actually works better for me. That is, unless there is somebody who’d like to partner out of ASH! :slight_smile: Then I’d love to offer up for an existing slot.)

Cirrus confirms that the 55X will be installed in SR22/#48 in June.

Bob

Gary,

From everything I’ve read and heard, it’s installed with the SR20 ‘C’ and SR22 ‘B’ packages.

Chris

I wonder if that includes the SR20?

Cirrus confirms that the 55X will be installed in SR22/#48 in June.

Bob

Gary,

Chris

Is the $180,000, you’re referring to, the base for the “C” config? If so, then that would cover most of the SR20 airplanes contracted for after July, 1998?

And one more point . . . I always thought the deal on enhancements, such as an improved autopilot or a new transponder, was that once it became standard on new SR20 configs it would be added to production aircraft and the price increased accordingly. Otherwise, they would be building different airplanes than they’re selling and it would certainly get confusing.

On the SR20’s, it’s being put on the ones for which the base was $180,000 and beyond, with the C configuration.

Before you ask - people such as me, who were in earlier, can’t trade up, even for a price.

I thought the way you did back when I was a position holder, but Cirrus will deliver what you contracted for. That’s it. The “old” autopilots are probably already in the pipeline and paid for.

Joe

And one more point . . . I always thought the deal on enhancements, such as an improved autopilot or a new transponder, was that once it became standard on new SR20 configs it would be added to production aircraft and the price increased accordingly. Otherwise, they would be building different airplanes than they’re selling and it would certainly get confusing.

Is the $180,000, you’re referring to, the base for the “C” config? If so, then that would cover most of the SR20 airplanes contracted for after July, 1998?

No, I’m referring to the base price. For example, my base price in July 1998 was $159,000 and change. I think the $180,000 was two increases later. As much as I would have liked to have the upgrade, I understand where Cirrus is coming from. They own the inventory of 55’s.

Interestingly, the S-TEC website no longer shows a plain 55 model as originally congigured in the C, only a 50. Cirrus’ website says the C config gets a 50. The 50 model doesn’t have vertical guidance or glideslope coupling, only the 55X. Vertical guidance and glideslope coupling was promised in the price listing with a 55. These other features that disappeared translate into apx $5,000. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No, I’m referring to the base price. For example, my base price in July 1998 was $159,000 and change. I think the $180,000 was two increases later. As much as I would have liked to have the upgrade, I understand where Cirrus is coming from. They own the inventory of 55’s.

The Cirrus website shows the C config with a 55, but the S-TEC website no longer shows a 55 available – only the 55X.

Interestingly, the S-TEC website no longer shows a plain 55 model as originally congigured in the C, only a 50. Cirrus’ website says the C config gets a 50. The 50 model doesn’t have vertical guidance or glideslope coupling, only the 55X. Vertical guidance and glideslope coupling was promised in the price listing with a 55. These other features that disappeared translate into apx $5,000. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Be careful. Cirrus “locks in” the avionics at the time you sign your contract and will not necessarily upgrade them later, for any price! (Probably due to lead times for the equipment and contracts with the supplier.)

Current position holders will confirm this…

Joe

I imagine this probably won’t apply to me, as I have yet to put down for a slot yet (soon :slight_smile: ), and I imagine S-Tec will be offering something different between now and the summer of 2003 ( :-(long wait, but, in the end, it actually works better for me. That is, unless there is somebody who’d like to partner out of ASH! :slight_smile: Then I’d love to offer up for an existing slot.)

Be careful. Cirrus “locks in” the avionics at the time you sign your contract and will not necessarily upgrade them later, for any price! (Probably due to lead times for the equipment and contracts with the supplier.)

Current position holders will confirm this…

Joe

Joe,

This is not necessarily always true. For some avionics (autopilot, for example) that seems to have held true. For others, like the move from the 320 to 327 transponder, and also the original move from the Trimble to Garmin avionics, the factory has supplied the “upgraded” avionics to position holders who ordered prior to the switch, but also charged them for the “upgrade”.

So I think it’s handled on a case-by-case basis. Probably depends on whether Cirrus already has the older equipment on-hand, whether the “upgrade” is required because the older equipment is no longer available, or only for added functionality, etc., etc.

Steve

I imagine this probably won’t apply to me, as I have yet to put down for a slot yet (soon :slight_smile: ), and I imagine S-Tec will be offering something different between now and the summer of 2003 ( :-(long wait, but, in the end, it actually works better for me. That is, unless there is somebody who’d like to partner out of ASH! :slight_smile: Then I’d love to offer up for an existing slot.)

I agree. That’s why I said Cirrus “will not necessarily ugrade them later.”

Joe

This is not necessarily always true. For some avionics (autopilot, for example) that seems to have held true. For others, like the move from the 320 to 327 transponder, and also the original move from the Trimble to Garmin avionics, the factory has supplied the “upgraded” avionics to position holders who ordered prior to the switch, but also charged them for the “upgrade”.

I said that because I assume S-Tec will probably not even be offering the 20/30 in 2003. I imagine that the 40X/50X were meant as replacements. But then again, I haven’t heard any complaints about the 20/30 either, so it may be a non-issue.

I agree. That’s why I said Cirrus “will not necessarily ugrade them later.”

Joe