SR 22

any news on when the “22” will be announced…I have been flying a new Archer III with the s-tec 55 and the Alt pre-select…great set up…if the plane was only 70 kts quicker…

Don’t know . . . but in the meantime, check out the current issue of FLYING and Dick Collins’s glowing review of the Lancair Columbia 300. Collins usually hates anything designed after 1965 and not riveted together in Wichita.

The SR22 will share the same engine, I believe, as the Columbia 300 — a Continental IO/550 of some designation. So performance should be more or less equal, though the Columbia 300 is smaller and is more like a Porsche 911 compared to the SR22’s BMW 540i (and the SR20’s BMW 528i.)

Against this, I sure wouldn’t want to be Mooney or Commander.

any news on when the “22” will be announced…I have been flying a new Archer III with the s-tec 55 and the Alt pre-select…great set up…if the plane was only 70 kts quicker…

any news on when the “22” will be announced.

Last word I heard was that certification was expected by the end of this year. So realistically, it should be certified early next year. I would hope that production would begin quite quickly, since it will be built on the same line as the SR20.

Placido - maybe the SR22 will be your answer? With its longer wings and more power, I would expect it could haul the same load as an SR20 out of a shorter strip.

A Cirrus employee said the SR22 would be announced at AOPA Expo in October.

Placido - maybe the SR22 will be your answer? With its longer wings and more power, I would expect it could haul the same load as an SR20 out of a shorter strip.

At the risk of blasphemy, the 260se/stol gets up and out with a 650+ lb payload (in addition to full fuel) in only 400-500 feet, climbs out at 1300-1400 fpm, cruises 153 KTAS, does steep turns at 50-55 kt, and comes in on final at 50-55 kt, landing with only 400-500 feet rollout even in my inexpert hands. No engine/oil cooling problems at all either.

It’s designed around a completely different mission/philosophy than the sr20 so it is not really fair to compare the two, sort of like comparing a really nice SUV with a small luxury sedan. Nonetheless I’m having a blast with mine, and it’s very comfortable on long trips too. It’s certainly worth a serious look if short/high/hot fields are your lot in life and you don’t want to sacrifice much in the way of comfort or speed.

Kevin

Clyde,

The SR22 would probably solve my problem with the field but immediately raise another one: money.

Cheers and thanks for all the responses to everybody.

Placido

any news on when the “22” will be announced.

Last word I heard was that certification was expected by the end of this year. So realistically, it should be certified early next year. I would hope that production would begin quite quickly, since it will be built on the same line as the SR20.

Kevin —

I can vouch for the good looks of your a/c on the ramp at PAO.

Does Peterson do STOL mods to 206s?

RK

At the risk of blasphemy, the 260se/stol gets up and out with a 650+ lb payload (in addition to full fuel) in only 400-500 feet, climbs out at 1300-1400 fpm, cruises 153 KTAS, does steep turns at 50-55 kt, and comes in on final at 50-55 kt, landing with only 400-500 feet rollout even in my inexpert hands. No engine/oil cooling problems at all either.

It’s designed around a completely different mission/philosophy than the sr20 so it is not really fair to compare the two, sort of like comparing a really nice SUV with a small luxury sedan. Nonetheless I’m having a blast with mine, and it’s very comfortable on long trips too. It’s certainly worth a serious look if short/high/hot fields are your lot in life and you don’t want to sacrifice much in the way of comfort or speed.

Kevin

Does Peterson do STOL mods to 206s?

Todd Peterson only works on 182 airframes. For more info www.260se.com