sr 22 pics at aopa

on the aopa members section is a story about the sr22 and a picture. after seeing it in long beach I must say she is pretty plane. But I have a bias view, dave and I own its little brother the 20!

on the aopa members section is a story about the sr22 and a picture. after seeing it in long beach I must say she is pretty plane. But I have a bias view, dave and I own its little brother the 20!

EB, Since you’ve seen them both close-up and are an experienced SR20 observer, what are there any divfferences you can see with the naked eye? Would you be able to tell the difference if the paint was the same and they were’nt sitting next to each other.

Marty #15

EB, Since you’ve seen them both close-up and are an experienced SR20 observer, what are there any divfferences you can see with the naked eye?

The thing you would first notice is the big number on the tail that says 22. From there you would need a 20 next to it to really notice the changes. The landing light is molded in the bottom of the cowl on the 22.The wing is also longer.The grafics are a little diffrent.

On the inside the only thing you would notice is there is electric rudder trim. I suspect they put it there for the 310 h.p. climbs.

Would you be able to tell the difference if the paint was the same and they were’nt sitting next to each other.

I would because I see the 20 every day, but I don’t think most will be able to tell, unless you see it as it passes you in the air!

Marty #15

That Sandel looked pretty nice in there too!

One other thought: Although you wouldn’t think the larger wings would make that much of difference in appearence, to me it was obvious which of the planes at the AOPA was the 22. Now, maybe that is just psychological, or it has to do with the improved graphics, but from the entrance of the static exhibit, which was about 100 yards from the birds, I could immediatley say “there’s the 22” in much the same way pilots can tell a 182 from a 172.

The landing light is molded in the bottom of the cowl on the 22.>

Marty #15

I thought the 20 was going to get this
new cowl and landing light treatment also.

As fas as I can tell there is also just one exhaust pipe exit instead of two.

Placido

That Sandel looked pretty nice in there too!

One other thought: Although you wouldn’t think the larger wings would make that much of difference in appearence, to me it was obvious which of the planes at the AOPA was the 22. Now, maybe that is just psychological, or it has to do with the improved graphics, but from the entrance of the static exhibit, which was about 100 yards from the birds, I could immediatley say “there’s the 22” in much the same way pilots can tell a 182 from a 172.

The SR20 has tuned exhaust (as well as tuned induction), which accounts for those long tailpipes. As I understand it, the 22 has tuned induction, but only standard exhaust, so the tailpipes are much less prominent.

As fas as I can tell there is also just one exhaust pipe exit instead of two.

Couple things I noticed about the 22 prototype:

The longer wings are extensions bolted onto the end of the 20’s (kinda dissapointed), the hole for the landing light on the 22 cowl looks like it was cut out by hand, there’s a rudder trim gauge to the left of the flap switch, and the switch you use to check the health of each alternator’s been moved over by the volt/amp meter.

Couple things I noticed about the 22 prototype:

The longer wings are extensions bolted onto the end of the 20’s (kinda dissapointed), the hole for the landing light on the 22 cowl looks like it was cut out by hand,

The word is that they may eventually offer long-wing and short-wing versions (thus the bolt-on wing ends) to give a choice of speed versus climb/load.

I’m sure the landing light hole was in fact cut out by hand–it’s a prototype after all. The production model will surely be done in a nicer (and simpler to manufacture) method.