Significance of "N" Numbers

My 2005 SR22 with Avidyne has a CP tail number, I think that it means Cirrus Parachute, but that is just my guess. There are lots of CP tail numbers predating the Perspective avionics

CK = Cirrus K(nown ice) for FIKI plane

There were quite a few CD released in '04 thru '06 which stands for Cirrus Design

i’m surprised they haven’t registered some with a CA suffix, but since they aren’t building any ahead, most buyers may be choosing their own numbers

PJ - Personal Jet [:D]

Paul

N52PJ

PL = PapaLima, my wife (nee Patricia Ledner, whose friends always called her PL), and my Turbo N322PL is named for March 22, our first date anniversary (14 years today), and her.

Trust me - wives really like it if you name the airplane after them! [:D] She did not know I did so until we walked into the delivery bay at Cirrus. It was a nice surprise!

I

I hear you Gordon, my experimental is registered 521SM, May 21 being our wedding day. My wife’s name is Sara. Sierra Mike comes pretty close.

Mike

Gordon,

You’re not kidding. My plane, N1970 is, to my wife, named after the year we got married. To me it’s the year I got my instrument, commercial and multi-engine ratings - information she doesn’t need to know!!

The PG initials have something to do with the vast Proctor and Gamble conspiracy, you can be sure.

Mike

I agree, Gordon. My plane N18GF was named after my wife’s maiden nickname (Gigi Fisher). And the 18 is just a plain lucky number; and double my selective service draft lottery number which was 9.

AG – Easy to Say [:P] Almost invariably, people thought 74 was the year I was born and AG was my name. Actually, I was born in '75 (*almost '*76) and “Alpha” was easy to slide into from “four.” I was putting on 500 IFR hours per-year at that point, so that’s, what, tens of thousands of N-number pronunciations per-year? I like to keep things simple. [:D] My top choice for a while was N74EF, but I didn’t want to be “that guy” that always clips “Foxtrot” to “Fox,” and pronouncing the whole thing negated the point of keeping it easy (Foxtrot is just hard to enunciate while buzzed [;)]).