Cirrus in Flight Plan

What is the code you put in a flight plan for the Cirrus 20 or 22? ie: Cessna would be something like C172/U. What’s Cirrus?

In reply to:

What is the code you put in a flight plan for the Cirrus 20 or 22? ie: Cessna would be something like C172/U. What’s Cirrus?

SR22/G or SR20/G

Mason

Some people over the pond put in SR20 SR/C
to file/fly IFR.

S for standard (ADF, VOR and DME)
R for RNAV
/C for mode charlie transponder (must be S for mode-S 31 march next year)

Since the /G GPS stuff is only legal to file in the US. (somehow the GPS satellites seem to stop working once over Europe) [;)]

In reply to:

SR22/G or SR20/G
Mason

Does SR mean anything?

Eric SR-22 #917

Thx.

SR = Single Reciprocating engine.

In reply to:

Or “Strategic Reconnaissance” which does not sound applicable to the SR22 until you start cruising along Daytona Beach during college spring break.[:)]

In reply to:

Does SR mean anything?

In reply to:

That was discussed a long time ago. Originally the thought, was that: S = Single engine; R = Reciprocating; 20 = 200 HP; But IIRC, Alan K. has since said that it meant something, but not that. And if you thing about it, if it indeed followed that logic what about the SR21td or SR22?

But as far as filing SR2X/g, the SR is really just a designator in the aircraft’s type certificate.

In reply to:

Since the /G GPS stuff is only legal to file in the US. (somehow the GPS satellites seem to stop working once over Europe)

Are there any plans in the EC to go GPS? I can fully understand why the US led the
march on GPS approaches but I fully expected Europe and the rest of the world
to have climbed aboard by now. Are the concerns just that it is a US-owned
constellation of satellites? With the uses that GPS now enjoys, I would think most
people would be comfortable with it staying around.

Are there any countries in the world who have approved GPS approaches outside
the US?

Roland

In reply to:

Are there any plans in the EC to go GPS? I can fully understand why the US led the
march on GPS approaches but I fully expected Europe and the rest of the world
to have climbed aboard by now. Are the concerns just that it is a US-owned
constellation of satellites? With the uses that GPS now enjoys, I would think most
people would be comfortable with it staying around.
Are there any countries in the world who have approved GPS approaches outside
the US?
Roland

Roland,

I can answer at least one part of this question. My understanding is the European community does not like the idea of relying on a satellite constellation that the US owns and operates. Some objections may be provincial, but some are practical from Europe’s point of view. For example, we used Selective Availability for years. Its not used now, but we did used to deliberately insert a level of inaccuracy into the system. And you never know, build your nav system around it, including your approaches and if the US government shut it down or went another direction (as odd as that sounds and as unlikely as it is) and you would have chaos and have no ability to influence those decisions. Ok, and then you have NIH syndrome (Not Invented Here) and you come up with reasons to go another direction.

But, they are building a euro satellite constellation called Galileo that is essentially the same thing. It is reported to be very accurate and is supposed to be on line late this decade (best of my recollection, barring some change).

Don’t know much more about it, but I have wondered for some time what it might mean to me when deployed. Will it work here, assume so. Would the FAA certify anything based on it? Would we be able to use it as a back up to GPS should it fail? Don’t know enough to answer.

I do not know if any GPS approaches are certified for use outside the US, but since GPS works well outside the US, I would think it is up to local FAA equivalents to certify them. Our euro Cirrus pilots do use GPS’s, but must use it officially as a back up to old systems (VOR - yuck - at least when you have a GPS on board). I know when I talk to Jaap and others in Europe, I feel like we are very well off here with a “progressive” FAA [;)], despite how we sometimes feel to the contrary.

Hope that helps, but I left a lot of unanswered questions - which I just don’t know enough to comment on. Maybe some of our European pilots can answer some more details, I for one am curious.