Sandel vs. Century HSI

Interesting; according to their respective web sites, The Sandel costs $8495.00, the Century HSI 1000, depending on the model costs either $9395.00 or $9795.00. Seems like more bang for the buck with the Sandel. I wonder what CD will do with pricing now that the Sandel is an option on the SR20? Why would you buy a Century HSI if you could have a Sandel for about the same amount of money? { That is NOT a retorical question} Any input is appreciated MIKE#396

Interesting; according to their respective web sites, The Sandel costs $8495.00, the Century HSI 1000, depending on the model costs either $9395.00 or $9795.00. Seems like more bang for the buck with the Sandel. I wonder what CD will do with pricing now that the Sandel is an option on the SR20? Why would you buy a Century HSI if you could have a Sandel for about the same amount of money? { That is NOT a retorical question} Any input is appreciated MIKE#396

Since the Sandel, unlike the Century HSI’s, does not contain a gyro, it requires an external gyro. I believe the SR22 installation also includes an external flux gate.

-Mike

Actually it’s sort of misleading. The Sandel doesn’t come with a flux gate. That means you need to have this in order for it to get heading information. A regular DG doesn’t have one either. So you need to buy one of those. They aren’t cheap. In our case, we are going to keep the Century for awhile to reduce the amount of “magic” in the plane. Learn the Garmin’s, autopilot, faster speeds, etc. Then in the future, we’ll upgrade to a Sandel once we can figure out how to fly the plane as is.

Actually, I was talking to my partner about this today and we will probably get a TCAD when avail rather than a Sandel. We feel that is the better use of our money for the first major upgrade. (The first minor upgrade is going to be uplinked weather without question.) Of course your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Derek

Why would you buy a Century HSI if you could have a Sandel for about the same amount of money? { That is NOT a retorical question} Any input is appreciated MIKE#396

Interesting; according to their respective web sites, The Sandel costs $8495.00, the Century HSI 1000, depending on the model costs either $9395.00 or $9795.00. Seems like more bang for the buck with the Sandel

Seems like there is some confusion here;

The answers; both the Sandel and the Century HSI require an external flux-gate compass (this is an electronic version of the good old magnetic compass) for slaving; however the Century HSI has an internal gyro, whereas the Sandel requires an external gyro. Not sure what the cost of same is, but it would certainly result in the Sandel being more expensive than the Century (also more wiring and installation).

Since the Sandel, unlike the Century HSI’s, does not contain a gyro, it requires an external gyro. I believe the SR22 installation also includes an external flux gate.

-Mike

What the heck is a flux gate. Sounds like something a plumber would use.

M. Myers

-Mike

What the heck is a flux gate. Sounds like something a plumber would use.

M. Myers

No doubt!! right over my head. Help, I is flamin’ out!! Let me try to ask again. Given the hole to fill in an SR20 “C” panel {befor delivery} why not put in a Sandel as origional avionics, rather than an HSI? Is there, or would one expect a cost and or weight penilty? {This is all very confusing, could I PLEASE just have a string and a plumb bob to hang from the ceiling or roof or whatever the hell it’s called?} MIKE #396

Actually it’s sort of misleading. The Sandel doesn’t come with a flux gate. That means you need to have this in order for it to get heading information. A regular DG doesn’t have one either. So you need to buy one of those. They aren’t cheap. In our case, we are going to keep the Century for awhile to reduce the amount of “magic” in the plane. Learn the Garmin’s, autopilot, faster speeds, etc. Then in the future, we’ll upgrade to a Sandel once we can figure out how to fly the plane as is.

Actually, I was talking to my partner about this today and we will probably get a TCAD when avail rather than a Sandel. We feel that is the better use of our money for the first major upgrade. (The first minor upgrade is going to be uplinked weather without question.) Of course your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Derek

Why would you buy a Century HSI if you could have a Sandel for about the same amount of money? { That is NOT a retorical question} Any input is appreciated MIKE#396

Derek:

You mentioned weather uplink as an add on option. Do you have any new information as to when that option may be available? I know there have been delays in getting the ground broadcast stations set up around the country which limits coverage. Have you heard anything new? This would be a great addition to have!

Brian

I’m no expert here, but there are two main types. Ground based and Satellite based. The Arnav has a ground based system (arnav.com - arnav Resources and Information.). Orbcomm has a satellite based one, which currently doesn’t interface to to any of the displays in the SR20 that I know of, but supposedly will interface to the Garmin at the end of this year. Garmin is using the Echoflight system which uses the Orbcomm satellites. (www.echoflight.com). I heard a rumor that Cirrus is looking at both system (unknown if they will be able to get the Orbcomm system or other satellite based system) connected to the Arnav display. To throw another wrinkle into it, I’ve been reading that Orbcomm was being auctioned off since it’s been in Chapter 11 since last September. I don’t know how that affects the future either.

So, I don’t have much info for you, but I know it will be an option I’ll get! I think it’s going to be a great tool.

Derek

Derek:

You mentioned weather uplink as an add on option. Do you have any new information as to when that option may be available? I know there have been delays in getting the ground broadcast stations set up around the country which limits coverage. Have you heard anything new? This would be a great addition to have!

Brian

Interesting; according to their respective web sites, The Sandel costs $8495.00, the Century HSI 1000, depending on the model costs either $9395.00 or $9795.00. Seems like more bang for the buck with the Sandel

The answers; both the Sandel and the Century HSI require an external flux-gate compass (this is an electronic version of the good old magnetic compass) for slaving; however the Century HSI has an internal gyro, whereas the Sandel requires an external gyro. Not sure what the cost of same is, but it would certainly result in the Sandel being more expensive than the Century (also more wiring and installation).

Thank you Clyde, now I won’t have to pull the 'chute!! MIKE#396

I talked to Bruce Gunther about the cost of getting the Sandel in an SR20, instead of the Century 1000. Since the Sandel requires an external gyro, Bruce guessed that the upgrade price would be around $5000. This is just a guess because no offical price has been announced.

This seems fair to me; the external gyro probably costs around $3500 to $4000, and installation costs need to be added to that.