Product line

Does anyone know if Cirrus has plans for a single engine, 5 or 6 seat plane? I’ve got three kids and a 4 seater isn’t going to help me. I don’t think I’ll get my wife to fly without CAPS. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have been asking the same question. I have a 10, 6, and 2 and all 3 would fit in the back seat, but not 3 seat belts! Weight of course isn’t a problem either. I went ahead and bought my SR-22 anyway and figured I would rather be one seat short than have a 206! I wish there was a way for a 3rd seat belt?! I guess I will just wait and hope Cirrus has a big enough market to make this happen or in a couple years I will step up to a 6 seater which puts me at 1 mil + to get something with comparable performance…yes ouch!!!

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. You confirmed what I suspected. The SR22 is really an attractive package, both in terms of performance and technology. If I decide to get myself and family into flying, it appears to be the plane I would like to have. A rear bench option with a 3rd belt would be great for families with younger kids. I have twin 4 year old boys and a 5 year old daughter. There is no way my wife would allow me in a small plane with the whole family without CAPS. I just learned about it last week here in Minnesota when I saw a new report on the BRS System that Cirrus uses. My thought was, my God, I can learn to fly now! My wife might actually buy in.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Tom F.

If the spouse is sufficiently enthused to get her own license, TWO SR22s would still cost less than that $1M figure for a high-tech 6-seater…

I went through the same stuff you are. I always wanted to fly and decided about 6 months ago to get serious also. I ran onto Cirrus kind of by accident and I took a test flight and new that was the plane I wanted in the first hour! So I put a deposit down in May, started my private lessons in June, picked up my new plane on July 20th and will have my private done by the end of September it looks like. I know I probably did what a lot of people see as crazy by buying the SR-22 instead of the 20, but with the mountains and elevation here in Salt Lake, the 20 didn’t make sense after I started training in one. The other thing is I don’t know any other plane than the Cirrus since that is all I have been training in. Hope this information helps, and I think you will find that the Cirrus is by far the best value for performance and it’s really tough to justify another 500k to get a couple more seats!

Now I know why I am single! It’s a real shame that the “wife” always seems to be the one to “ok” a purchase. The “wife” hardly ever makes the money that the plane will be purchased with…

Rick

Good question about the bench rear seat, Tom. I asked Tom Bergeron, the SW director, about this, and he said they will probably have a rear-bench option within the next two years (I also asked him about a 6-seat airframe, but he said that would be at least 5 years out and there are no definite plans for that).

In reply to:

Now I know why I am single! It’s a real shame that the “wife” always seems to be the one to “ok” a purchase. The “wife” hardly ever makes the money that the plane will be purchased with…
Rick

Rick — This is the First time I have ever agreed with what you have written ! Bravo…
I should note that I’m certain my wife will be leaving me any day now…and she isn’t the first woman to do so…geez, just kidding of course, she is the one who purchased my first flying lessons in a taildragger and said —you’re so “hyper and picky” you’ll make a great pilot ! Now here, go take some lessons at the local grass strip.
Ahhhhh Bliss [:)]

In reply to:

It’s a real shame that the “wife” always seems to be the one to “ok” a purchase. The “wife” hardly ever makes the money that the plane will be purchased with…
Rick

Not necessarily true.

In reply to:

Rick

Now we REALLY know why you’re single…[;)]

haha :slight_smile:

Actually, I don’t want to have children and so marriage is just a piece of paper to me that tells me just how screwed I will be in the end if things don’t work out! I have watched so many of my friends either stay unhappily married due to the financial aspect of divorce or go through hell and a financial blender when they did get a divorce. I’ll stick with the girlfriends and all the toys I can buy for now…

Rick

In reply to:

Actually, I don’t want to have children and so marriage is just a piece of paper to me that tells me just how screwed I will be in the end if things don’t work out! I have watched so many of my friends either stay unhappily married due to the financial aspect of divorce or go through hell and a financial blender when they did get a divorce. I’ll stick with the girlfriends and all the toys I can buy for now…
Rick

Rick:

Now we REALLY REALLY know why you aren’t married!

Regards,

Tim

In reply to:

Rick

Ok, I can see how you can look at it that way. On the other hand, I have been married 31 years and one of the main reasons I have a new SR20 coming in about five weeks is my wife’s encouragement to “go for it”. She also accompanied me to M2 to check it out and to meet fellow fliers. One of the great things about a true marriage is that once in a while, it makes a great partnership. You just need to be blessed in finding her.

I got lucky. Although,…there have been times…

In reply to:

Good question about the bench rear seat, Tom. I asked Tom Bergeron, the SW director, about this, and he said they will probably have a rear-bench option within the next two years (I also asked him about a 6-seat airframe, but he said that would be at least 5 years out and there are no definite plans for that).

I have heard the same rumor from Tom Bergeron two years ago!

It seems like the 3 seat back row could add a lot more utility than all the fancy leather wrapped knobs… Don’t get me wrong for being a tad cynical, I like the cosmetic improvements CD has made. I do believe however that a fair amount of 5 person families have and will choose Cessna or Piper because of the lack of the extra seat in the Cirrus. Especially now that modern avionics are available in those planes as well.

OTOH, there might be very good reasons (liability and or insurance) for CD not to offer this optional 5th seat, reasoning that if there is a belt…someone will strap in another body no matter how heavy.

My problem is that since my darling wife talked me into buying a brand new Cirrus a year and a half ago, she may soon try to talk me into buying a Cessna (Cough…) Caravan to accommodate our growing dog family [;)]

Rik

I don’t even need the seats to change, I just need a third seat belt in the middle. I have a 10 year old, 6 year old and 2 year old and they way a total of 160 ibs between all 3 and fit fine. Oh ya, I might have a headset problem also since I have 4 sets of bose ANR’s. Could I plug in a different set or is there an ANR splitter? Anyway, it probably doesn’t matter anyway since I can’t solve the seat belt issue.

I’m not sure anyone would be stupid enough to cram three adults in that back seat (assuming there were three adults willing to put up with the discomfort), even if there were three seat belts - the Cirrus is roomy (gotta love it), but 49" still isn’t room enough to put three adult sets of shoulders side by side!

“Vapor Seats” You might want to change the subject heading, like “Vaporware Seats”.

Vapor Seats implies something completely different. [:)]

Not to derail the discussion, but I don’t believe you can put 3 people, even small ones, in the back seat…legally.

Marty

Not at this point, Maarty, I know - Rik and I were talking about the not-quite-promised 3-seatbelt bench rear seat (like the one in the Velocity XL-V kit) that we hope to see in the Cirrus sometime in the (relatively) near future.