Price above MSRP

I’ve seen a number of ads asking for “best offer over MSRP” for the SR20. Has anyone here “jumped” the queue to get an SR20? What would be a reasonable offer? Also, how legal is it - does Cirrus allow people already in line to transfer their position to someone else?

Any comments will be appreciated.

I’ve seen a number of ads asking for “best offer over MSRP” for the SR20. Has anyone here “jumped” the queue to get an SR20? What would be a reasonable offer? Also, how legal is it - does Cirrus allow people already in line to transfer their position to someone else?

Cirrus, unlike most aircraft manufacturers, supports the transfer of contracts. For $500 they will facilitate the transfer, though of course they wash their hands of any direct involvement.

At this time, due to the waiting time involved for a direct factory order, positions close to delivery may command a premium above the current list price (and those positions were purchased at a price considerably below the current list price.) It’s basically a futures market.

Having waited almost four years for my SR20 (and gotten a good deal on it as a result) I plowed my savings into paying a premium for my SR22 rather than waiting. I have no regrets.

I think that the premium on positions is coming down, partly due to market conditions (more folks are wanting to get out of their contracts or at least move toward the back of the line) and partly due to the size of the fleet (there are used SR20s becoming available.) If Cirrus eventually gets the backlog down to something reasonable (six months or so) I suspect that the premiums will disappear.

I received an offer of $10K over current pricing (Aug or Sept delivery) about six months ago, but I turned it down. Of course, we wanted to keep ours anyway. If I was to sell, which I’m not, I’m sure I could get $20K from someone who would want to jump from the end of the line. Why not pay 10% more to get what you want now! We’ve had to wait almost three years. That’s three years of maintenance on your old plane too. I agree with Dave that the premium will disappear as soon as the backlog is eliminated.

It’s simply a matter of supply and demand.

As long as the demand is present, there are those who will sell at a premium above MSRP and there are those that will buy. Do you remember the PT Cruiser that you could’t find anywhere last year? Dealers were commanding a premium and there was a long line of people willing to pay… All the time no less, while Diamler Chrysler was losing billions… what gives?
What is so odd about the SR22 airplane is that if you are taking delivery next year for instance, a 20,000 premium paid now may be cheaper… This airplane will go up in price and those who wait will pay more than those who pay the premium now and get the plane now. I had two SR22 positions for June and easily sold one and could have sold both of them at 20,000 over MSRP.
If you really want this airplane, you have to be willing to get one… I decided to buy an SR22 after reading an article in AOPA… That was in late April 2001. I will have my SR22 next weekend. I can’t believe some of you guys have been waiting so long… Life is short… Go for it…!

Why not.

Cirrus want to sell airplanes, if you want one bad enough you can get one ahead of your position. As far as Cirrus looking at the big picture, they are selling the contract # to someone, if the name is John or Jon makes no difference as long as the money is the right amount for the contract #. This is what makes the world go around. If you can, go for it. I now have position #110 SR22 for trade for a slightly higher #, I am looking for Jan 2002

We had a great Cirrus 22 day at the AOPA open house, Ian, and Bruce are great company asset, give those guys a raise… Alan?

Cheers,

Woor