Plane 1 Bird 0

I’m still trying to get the details…

Jim

OUCH! I don’t know anything about that picture, but it looks like a Navy T-34C trainer. Anyone know for sure?

It reminds me of a Beechcraft 1900 I saw after it struck a goose. I was flying for a Regional airline at the time and it was one of our planes. The strike happened at 7000’ in a 240ish knot descent and impacted the right wing forward of the aileron. The BE-1900 has a dual-spar wing. The goose penetrated the forward spar and bent the rear spar aft to within an inch or so of the aileron! It ripped the fuel tank (wet wing) open, causing the massive fuel leak and forcing the crew to shut down the right engine and make an emergency approach and landing into Milwaukee, WI. Unfortunetly, I don’t have a picture to attach here…but it was UGLY, with feathers, blood and guts oozing out of most of the lower inspection panels!

Gives some indication of how dangerous large fowl can be to airplanes…and to the incredible strength of the BE-1900.

Fly safe,
Matt McDaniel
Progressive Aviation Services

An SR22 owner hit a goose a couple of weeks ago on the left wing and posted pictures in the member’s section of COPA. What a difference! The Cirrus’ paint was peeled off and the the 'glass was a little wrinkled, but nothing like this pic.

Wow. The Cirrus must me really strong.

It’s a T-44A, just like the one in the background. (Look on the fuselage under the tail.)

Just as a discussion point, in looking at that picture again, the bird in question is not a goose. You can clearly see the bird’s feet, which are not webbed (like a goose), but are clawed. Maybe it is a Turkey Vulture, Eagle, Hawk or some other bird of prey.

I’ve had small bird strikes in Cessnas and the Cirrus. As with larger bird strikes, the differance was dramtic. In the Cessna…a dented leading edge skin and a crushed wing rib nose. In the Cirrus…a fist size section of missing paint! [:)]

Fly safe,
Matt McDaniel
Progressive Aviation Services