Payload SR20, Again.

The AvWeb article says regarding payload:

Cirrus expects to get approval for a two-step change. Step one is simply a paperwork change to the SR20’s documentation, flight manual and placards. A second, larger gain will involve physical changes to the airplane. Cirrus will make the change on its production line and field retrofits will be available.

Does anyone have an idea when Cirrus will start making the necessary physical changes to the SR20 to increase payload?

Does anyone have an idea when Cirrus will start making the necessary physical changes to the SR20 to increase payload?

The approval for these was being done as part of the SR22 program. The type certificate application for the SR22 is now apparently with the FAA - I would guess that the mods to the SR20 would be approved around the same time. So I would expect to see the approvals before the end of the year, and I would expect Cirrus to get those changes into the production line as quickly as possible, so perhaps planes built in January will have the higher gross weight. But that’s only my guess (though I do know that the end of this year was CD’s original target).

• I would guess that the mods to the SR20 would be approved around the same time. So I would expect to see the approvals before the end of the year, and I would expect Cirrus to get those changes into the production line as quickly as possible, so perhaps planes built in January will have the higher gross weight.
    Have you heard whether a brake modification is still required, and whether all SR20s are going to be standard with the modified brakes once approval is received, or is it going to be an option? What, if any, other mods are involved?

The approval for these was being done as part of the SR22 program. The type certificate application for the SR22 is now apparently with the FAA - I would guess that the mods to the SR20 would be approved around the same time. So I would expect to see the approvals before the end of the year, and I would expect Cirrus to get those changes into the production line as quickly as possible, so perhaps planes built in January will have the higher gross weight. But that’s only my guess (though I do know that the end of this year was CD’s original target).

Have you heard whether a brake modification is still required, and whether all SR20s are going to be standard with the modified brakes once approval is received, or is it going to be an option? What, if any, other mods are involved?

Have you heard whether a brake modification is still required,

Yes, the SR20 will have larger brakes, and wheel pants to suit. I suspect that they will be the same brakes as on the SR22, though I’m only speculating there.

whether all SR20s are going to be standard with the modified brakes once approval is received,

From what I was told earlier this year, all SR20’s coming out of the factory after the mods are incorporated will have the higher gross weight, and therefore the uprated brakes.

What, if any, other mods are involved?

Some changes to the seat foam inserts, probably. I’ve not heard of any others.

Have you heard whether a brake modification is still required,

Yes, the SR20 will have larger brakes, and wheel pants to suit. I suspect that they will be the same brakes as on the SR22, though I’m only speculating there.

whether all SR20s are going to be standard with the modified brakes once approval is received,

From what I was told earlier this year, all SR20’s coming out of the factory after the mods are incorporated will have the higher gross weight, and therefore the uprated brakes.

What, if any, other mods are involved?

Some changes to the seat foam inserts, probably. I’ve not heard of any others.

Just a point of wild and I do mean wild speculation (perhaps wishful thinking on my part as I would like for the take of run for the SR-20 to be shortened) but one possible area is to use the same wing as is on the SR-22. That extra foot could help compensate for a weight increase.

Regard M Myers