It was a dark and stormy night …
… when I flew to Green Bay, WI, last Thursday, to attend EAA Airventure in Oshkosh. As Murphy’s Law would dictate, the Stormscope in my SR22 started failing just before I got to the worst of the storms.
Both Garmins would indicate an “Error 50” from the Stormscope. I pulled the breaker to reset the Stormscope several times. The first couple of times, it worked for a whiile before getting the error again. Eventually, it would get the error immediately on startup.
Thanks to advice from Flightwatch and vectors from ATC, I made it to KGRB in one piece.
On Friday morning at the Cirrus booth, I mentioned the problem to a Cirrus employee, who steered me to Peter Powell. Peter’s title is Manager, Field Services.
Peter got the particulars and promised to get a replacement Stormscope processor and install it in Green Bay. I dropped my airplane keys at the FBO on Friday evening.
Early Saturday afternoon, I got a call on my cell phone from Peter. The Stormscope had been replaced and the replacement was working, as far as they could tell on the ground. Peter asked if I would mind flying close to some thunderstorms to test it out. I told him I would get back to him on that [:)].
On the way home on Monday afternoon, the new Stormscope worked perfectly, and helped keep me clear of the ugly stuff.
I received a sticker with the airframe logbook entry in the mail today.
Folks, I don’t think service gets any better than this. I had a ten-minute conversation, dropped off the keys, and it was fixed the next day!
Thanks to all the Cirrus folks who did such a great job.