On FADEC from \"the other side\"

A little cross breed info swapping may help here. One of the Lancair board people got a fairly long laundry list of additional requirements from the FAA concering FADEC and Lancair. Did/do you guys know of anything similar coming your way?

Gordon Feingold is the expert when it comes to that. I think he’s been talking to Continental about it Ask him.

Mario

In reply to:

A little cross breed info swapping may help here. One of the Lancair board people got a fairly long laundry list of additional requirements from the FAA concerning FADEC and Lancair. Did/do you guys know of anything similar coming your way?

The referenced Notice of proposed Special Conditions describes a proposed FAA requirement for proof of the FADEC electronics’ invulnerability to adverse High Intensity Radiated Fields (HIRF). This notice specifically is for the Lancair “LC40-550FG-E” airplane which I believe is the Columbia 400. We can expect similar notices for the Cirrus aircraft when FADEC is being certified.

The notice goes into a lot of detail about testing the FADEC electronics at a variety of field strengths or radiated energy at different frequencies. There is a catch-all as well for a high energy event. It also states:

“Data used for engine certification may be used, when appropriate, for airplane certification.”

I talked to Aerosance, and it turns out this is no big deal. Aerosance has already done all of the required HIRF testing. The FAA’s Notice just gives them the means of getting the data from Aerosance’s testing. The Feds felt this was necessary because Part 23 doesn’t have anything covering a FADEC system, so they’re just plugging that hole.

This should have minimal effect on Lancair’s or Cirrus’ process of getting FADEC out the door, since the testing has already been done.

To correct myself, it seems the Lancair “LC40-550FG-E” airplane is actually the Columbia 300.

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!

I’ll post it on the Lancair site.

And yes, for some reason the Lancair 300 is LC40. The 400 is LC41 and the Lancair 350 is LC42

Can you please tell me what the Columbia 350 is ?

Jaap

Same as a Columbia 300, but reportedly including:All Electric Dual Bus, Dual Battery System with Full Authority Digital Engine Controls (FADEC) Option With the IFR Trek Package which includes the following * 10" Avidyne Moving Map * with WX 500 Stormscope Sending Unit * S-TEC 55X with GPSS auto pilot * Dual GPS/NAV/Comm with Glide Slope GNS-430’s * Mid Continent Nav Indicator * Garmin Stereo Audio Panel and Push Button Transponder * Trans-Cal Blind Encoder * Electric Artificial Horizon * Electronic H.S.I. System * VM 1000 engine instrument guage and monitor system complete with EGT/CHT and fuel flow capabilities

Sure. The 350 is a special offer Columbia designed to help pay for and speed the conversion to FADEC. Deposits are 250K! The plane is 350K. First will be delivered this fall.

Think of it as an all-electric Columbia 300
withFull Authority Digital Engine Controls (FADEC)

• 10" Avidyne Moving Map
  • with WX 500 Stormscope Sending Unit
  • S-TEC 55X with GPSS auto pilot
  • Dual GPS/NAV/Comm with Glide Slope GNS-430’s
  • Mid Continent Nav Indicator
  • Garmin Stereo Audio Panel and Push Button Transponder
  • Trans-Cal Blind Encoder
  • Electric Artificial Horizon
  • Electronic H.S.I. System
  • VM 1000 engine instrument guage and monitor system complete with EGT/CHT
    and fuel flow capabilities

and all available options currently offered are available for additional cost such as Speedbrakes, oxygen…etc.

Anti-ice will be retrofittable. Not sure yet about AC.

Thank you for the info.

Is the de-ice Lancair will be offering the Northcost Tech option (www.airplanedeice.com) ??
And do you already know when it will be offered (I’m sure Cirrus will offer it too if it is a succes), so get that second alternator…
Still puzzled about v2.0 2.1 2.2 or 22

Jaap
SRXX Vx.x #683