oil temperature on sr20

Hi,

Does anyone has its oil temperature increasing very quickly while on the ground? I have to slow down my climb to cool the oil.

Thank you in advance for your imput

Best regards

Roger

Hi,

Does anyone has its oil temperature increasing very quickly while on the ground? I have to slow down my climb to cool the oil.

Thank you in advance for your imput

Best regards

Roger

Yes, especially if you are delayed on departing in hot weather.

Carl N246CD

Yes, high oil temp is a concern for most if not all of us. You can find quite a bit of discussion in the archives. As Carl notes, limit your ground time as much as possible. For instance, if you have a hand held, you may wish to get your ATIS/AWOS or even clearance before you start crankning. After clearing obstacles on take off, shallow your climb to the recommended 100-110 kias. Either the POH, Wings Aloft manual, or both recommend climb out at full power to maximize airflow for cooling. I keep a constant eye on my oil temp, oil pressure, and CHT during the first 15 or so minutes in the air. While it makes me nervous, it made it through some hot all day flying in the Bahamas in June and recently some flight training in Tennessee where the temps have been constantly in the 90’s - still I do worry. Also, constantly check your oil quantity to make sure that it does not get too low and do the recommended oil change every 50 hours.

Yes, high oil temp is a concern for most if not all of us. You can find quite a bit of discussion in the archives. As Carl notes, limit your ground time as much as possible. For instance, if you have a hand held, you may wish to get your ATIS/AWOS or even clearance before you start crankning. After clearing obstacles on take off, shallow your climb to the recommended 100-110 kias. Either the POH, Wings Aloft manual, or both recommend climb out at full power to maximize airflow for cooling. I keep a constant eye on my oil temp, oil pressure, and CHT during the first 15 or so minutes in the air. While it makes me nervous, it made it

through some hot all day flying in the Bahamas in June and recently some flight training in Tennessee where the temps have been constantly in the 90’s - still I do worry. Also, constantly check your oil quantity to make sure that it does not get too low and do the recommended oil change every 50 hours.

Note that full oil is usually 7 qts on dipstick when cold. One quart sit in filter. When i fill to 8 all that happens is I get a lot of oil coming ou the blowout valve covering the belly of the plane. I have found that if I am climbing to say 10,000 ft if i can i will pause a little bit at 5 or 6k throttle back a little for a few minutes to cool down then resume climb (on hot days) it helps. I also throttle back fairly soon after takeoff to 2500 RPM and try to climb at about 110 kts. I am still curious if anyone on a SR20 has moved the landing light and if the increased air flow has helped. If so maybe a few of us could get together and get a deal on new lower cowling to put the lights where the 22’s are