Oil Temps

One concern of mine has always been what I belief to be fairly high oil temps during climbs. On the SR20 I would be curious to know what kind of temps others are running during climbs and during cruise. Yes I do all possible to keep temps low flattening attack angle etc. But I am curious as to what is happening with others.

One concern of mine has always been what I belief to be fairly high oil temps during climbs. On the SR20 I would be curious to know what kind of temps others are running during climbs and during cruise. Yes I do all possible to keep temps low flattening attack angle etc. But I am curious as to what is happening with others.

On these very hot/humid days, climbing at 120 or so, 300 fpm max, full power, full rich, boost pump on, I still have my hottest cylinder reach 420, and oil temps get to 210. I wouldn’t know it, though, without the Engine Monitor, because the standard CHT is showing about 380-390 (oil temp gauge agrees with Engine Monitor). I’ve taken to informing Clearance Delivery that I’m operationally limited to 300 fpm max until 5,000 feet – the air is cooler there, and I can climb at 500 fpm with 390 as my hottest CHT.

I did try the climb-LOP method recommended by John Deakin once, and it really worked, with hottest CHT never going above 390, but it made me nervous, so I stopped using it. I’d be interested to hear from anyone else who’s tried it.

• Mike.

My main problem is CHT. Oil temp is in the high area of the green (I forget the exact number) but still definitely within the green.

On the other hand, my CHT sometimes gets as high as 420 in hot weather climb out.

Although I agree in theory with and have talked to him about it, I have not in practice tried the method Mike referred to in his response (LOP operation during full throttle climb), although that may be the “right thing to do”.

I have generally been successful in pulling the throttle back to about 2500-2600 RPM (i.e. just above the range of throttle which is governed to 2500 RPM) and increasing airspeed about about 110 KIAS.

I can usually obtain 500 fpm climb rate (thus not requiring me to report to ATC) but also keep the highest CHT at 390 or so. Of course, this has not been at or near max gross weight, and only in temps as high as 90 degrees or so. At max gross on a 100 degree day, I suspect it may still fall short.

Interesting though - like Mike pointed out, I really only have this problem on one cylinder. Until seeing Mike’s response, I had sort of suspected a temp probe problem since this cylinder is the only one that’s really that hot (others top out at 390 or so in the climbout with out any special treatment)… so I still need to do some investigation.

Steve

A number of people seemed to be concerned about what is perceived to be high CHTs and oil temps. I just went to a seminar on engine maintenance hosted by a highly respected wrench turner. He mentioned that when someone gets a CHT gauge (especially the expensive engine analyzers), he invariably thinks the engine is too hot. Before he got one, everything was fine and it probably was. He just didn’t realize that the engine temps are that high. The other factor is the accuracy of the gauge. How do we know that Cirrus’ engine is really running too hot on climb? Why don’t we think that this is normal? How hot is too hot? What does Continental have to say about this? My Archer doesn’t even have a CHT temp gauge and it ran to full TBO in 17 years without any engine problem at all. Was ignorance bliss?

On these very hot/humid days, climbing at 120 or so, 300 fpm max, full power, full rich, boost pump on, I still have my hottest cylinder reach 420, and oil temps get to 210. I wouldn’t know it, though, without the Engine Monitor, because the standard CHT is showing about 380-390 (oil temp gauge agrees with Engine Monitor). I’ve taken to informing Clearance Delivery that I’m operationally limited to 300 fpm max until 5,000 feet – the air is cooler there, and I can climb at 500 fpm with 390 as my hottest CHT.

I did try the climb-LOP method recommended by John Deakin once, and it really worked, with hottest CHT never going above 390, but it made me nervous, so I stopped using it. I’d be interested to hear from anyone else who’s tried it.

• Mike.

I was at cruising at 7500 with all temps reasonable yesterday and even at that altitude when i did a short climb to 9500 by the time i got there at about 200-250 fpm my oil temp was back towards 220-230. I did have a fairly full load though. My other concern is long term affects on the engine from running thes high temps. Also has anyone moved the landing light with the new cowling and has this helped?

Ok, I did the Deakin thing…wow does it cool an engine down. The gauges drop SO QUICKLY you’d swear you had electrical failure. So, the real question is …does running very cool (with air) and 7 -8gls./hr. fuel do well long term? i was a motor junky for 10 years…20 years ago! So, I will make no claim that this may or may not be a good thing with modern techno engines. In the old days…if you didn’t give it the juice…you risked burning the piston heads pre-maturely. But…i did try it…the gauges went up then the dropped like technology stocks last year!

This is something we should get Cirrus’ and Continental’s opinion on.

Don

• Mike.

I was at cruising at 7500 with all temps reasonable yesterday and even at that altitude when i did a short climb to 9500 by the time i got there at about 200-250 fpm my oil temp was back towards 220-230. I did have a fairly full load though. My other concern is long term affects on the engine from running thes high temps. Also has anyone moved the landing light with the new cowling and has this helped?

Ok, I did the Deakin thing…wow does it cool an engine down. The gauges drop SO QUICKLY you’d swear you had electrical failure. So, the real question is …does running very cool (with air) and 7 -8gls./hr. fuel do well long term? i was a motor junky for 10 years…20 years ago! So, I will make no claim that this may or may not be a good thing with modern techno engines. In the old days…if you didn’t give it the juice…you risked burning the piston heads pre-maturely. But…i did try it…the gauges went up then the dropped like technology stocks last year!

This is something we should get Cirrus’ and Continental’s opinion on.

Don

I agree I will call the Cirrus gang and get there opinion anybody want to try Continental? I will psot when I get a response. Also what is the link to the Deakin article? Also has anybody moved the landing light it makes sense that would give better air flow,

• Mike.

A number of people seemed to be concerned about what is perceived to be high CHTs and oil temps. I just went to a seminar on engine maintenance hosted by a highly respected wrench turner. He mentioned that when someone gets a CHT gauge (especially the expensive engine analyzers), he invariably thinks the engine is too hot. Before he got one, everything was fine and it probably was. He just didn’t realize that the engine temps are that high. The other factor is the accuracy of the gauge. How do we know that Cirrus’ engine is really running too hot on climb? Why don’t we think that this is normal? How hot is too hot? What does Continental have to say about this? My Archer doesn’t even have a CHT temp gauge and it ran to full TBO in 17 years without any engine problem at all. Was ignorance bliss?

Hi Gary,

Good questions! The reason I believe 420 CHT is too hot is because the POH lists “normal” (i.e. green arc) CHTs to be 240-420 degrees and “caution” (i.e. yellow arc) to be 420-460 degrees. I prefer to stay within the green arc, although 420 is kinda right on the borderline.

(Anecdotally I’ve also heard that it’s best to keep CHT under 400.)

Regarding the accuracy of the Arnav probes, good question there too. In fact I initially suspected the probe since only my #1 cylinder gets that hot (other 5 are about 30 degrees cooler). – and that might still be the case.

It was only when I saw Mike’s post also saying he had 1 cylinder hit 420 that made me wonder…

I plan to see if they can check the accuracy of the probes next time I bring th eplane in for service.

Steve

After we had our ARNAV engine monitoring installed 3 weeks ago, we noticed that one EGT seemed to be much higher than the others and this caused us some concern. Then, while sitting in the hangar with the engine cold and shut down and the ARNAV MFD on, we noticed that the reading on this cylinder was 60 degrees higher than ambient. After call ARNAV, it seems that there is a calibration that can be made to the System to get the temperatures to display accurately. I suggest you do this cold gound test to see what temps are being displayed on all the probes before proceeding to some more troublesome and expensive.