Normans Cay Photos

Here are some pictures I took during my last trip to Normans Cay:

Two aerial views of the island: McDuffs “resort” can be seen to the right of the second picture - the 3 buildings situated in a triangular fashion:

To prove that the runway is long enough for our planes. (You can see my Cirrus through the Citation’s right wing.)::

One of the Guest Cottages:

… and the main house at MdCuffs:

For the ladies, the shopping mall:

How to work hard on Normans Cay:

the camera really does add 20 lbs or is it 40?:

Rosie tending bar at McDuffs. Cat, one of the owners, is in the kitchen. (If you look carefully, you will see the the power source for this blender. The first person to post the right answer will win a free drink during their first visit to Normans Cay!)

Just to the right of the Teddy bear. Clearly a Mr. Fusion!

Nice pics. Norman’s Cay looks wonderful.

Marty

In reply to:

Just to the right of the Teddy bear. Clearly a Mr. Fusion! Nice pics. Norman’s Cay looks wonderful. Marty

Marty: You are right on the location, but alas, Mr. Fusion has not made its debut in the Bahamas. I will give a hint: It requires a pull start.

In reply to:

Marty: You are right on the location, but alas, Mr. Fusion has not made its debut in the Bahamas. I will give a hint: It requires a pull start.

OK; It’s a gas powered, 2 cycle teddy bear

In reply to:

OK; It’s a gas powered, 2 cycle teddy bear

Dennis: You are mostly correct about the Teddy bear, but I think it is a 4 cycle animal. [:)] If you had suggested that the blender was powered by a 2 cycle gas powered motor, you would be correct, but not sufficiently so to win the grand prize. What is the motor from?

In reply to:

Dennis: You are mostly correct about the Teddy bear, but I think it is a 4 cycle animal. If you had suggested that the blender was powered by a 2 cycle gas powered motor, you would be correct, but not sufficiently so to win the grand prize. What is the motor from?

A Honda Jet, of course

Grand Prize . . . Fuggetaboutit. I am still waiting for the drink you owe me from 3 years ago.

Chain saw?

In reply to:

A Honda Jet, of course

Survey says, … WRONG! Mr. Fusion was closer.

In reply to:

Grand Prize . . . Fuggetaboutit. I am still waiting for the drink you owe me from 3 years ago.

Dennis: I thought you owed me the three drinks. It figures that you live in Florida. I want a recount!!!

It is a Weedeater engine.

Been there, drank that.

A little background on Norman’s. Many years ago, a very good friend of ours (Phil Kniskern) purchased the land at the Southwest side of the Island. He built what is now McDuffs.

Phil, his wife Ann and his 3 boys would fly out there every weekend to build the cabins and relax. It was becoming a popular Fly-In for many local Florida pilots and their families. A few years later, a Colombian Drug Lord named CARLOS LEDERER decided Norman’s would be a great place to use as the headquarters for his drug empire.

He tried to buy Phil out and Phil refused. He threatened Phil and his family and Phil refused to leave their island paradise. Phil decided he had enough of the threats and intimidation, so he invited the DEA to fly out to Norman’s. They came in pretending to be just normal pilots looking to enjoy Phil’s place. They spent their days laying on the beach and fishing and their nights in full camo, crawling around Lederer’s area across the runway.

It was not long before they had all the evidence they needed. One night, Carlos Lederer ended up making an unplanned trip to Miami. When he arrived, he was formally arested, convicted and now is living in our nations most secure, underground prison we have.

He put out a Contract on Phil and his family, but Phil refused protection. The word was that Lederer’s competitors thought Lederer’s removal helped them, so they left Phil and his family alone.

The moral of this story is, Don’t mess with Phil Kniskern. Phil is a great American and thanks to him, there is one less Drug Lord doing business. When I have time, I’ll tell you the rest of the story.

The book COCAINE WARS would be a good read while hanging out at Normans. It tells much of the story.

In reply to:

It is a Weedeater engine.

Bingo! Winner, Winner, chicken dinner! But then you’ve actually been there. [:)]

Dennis: Interesting story. It adds a few details and modifies a few facts from my other post on the island that apparently had been enhanced through multiple tellings of the story. Thanks for the insight.

In reply to:

Chain saw?

Close. Dennis Crowther got it below, but then, he has been there. Guess I owe him a drink next time he lights on the island.

A Weedeater???

What do you order at that bar? Do you ask for a grass of wine or a grasshopper?

In reply to:

A Weedeater???
What do you order at that bar? Do you ask for a grass of wine or a grasshopper?

I don’t know, but I suppose that either way, you get whacked.

In reply to:

I don’t know, but I suppose that either way, you get whacked.

The drink is called Pusser’s Painkiller® and comes in three different levels. Number 1 will allow you to fly in 8 hours in the left seat. Number 2 should put you in the right seat in 8 hours and number 3 Painkiller will allow you to fly immediately…in the luggage compartment.

Charles Tobias is the inventor of the drink and also the owner of Pussers Run and Resorts in the BVI’s, Annapolis and Ft. Lauderdale.

Another piece of Heaven that you can fly to; http://pussers.com/outposts/marinacay

In reply to:

The drink is called Pusser’s Painkiller® and comes in three different levels. Number 1 will allow you to fly in 8 hours in the left seat. Number 2 should put you in the right seat in 8 hours and number 3 Painkiller will allow you to fly immediately…in the luggage compartment.
Charles Tobias is the inventor of the drink and also the owner of Pussers Run and Resorts in the BVI’s, Annapolis and Ft. Lauderdale.
Another piece of Heaven that you can fly to; http://pussers.com/outposts/marinacay

They have a ‘new’ house drink, but even though I was drinking the virgin variety, I still can’t remember the name. Perhaps it is too much time at altitude without O2; or perhaps age; or perhaps, oh, I forget the last one. Either way after about 3, they all taste the same!