Mounting a Garmin 196 in an SR2X

Howdy,

I just aquired a Garmin 196, and cannot figure out how to mount it in my vintage SR20. There does not seem to be a natural place to use the clamp that comes with the unit. What have other people done?

Thanks!

Brand Fortner

I bought the “beanbag” option so I can just slap it on the dash anywhere. Saves the problem of using brackets and glued devices.

I posted pictures of my 196 install using a “RAM” suction cup mount, on the
member forum 12/2002. Use “search” looking for “Garmin 196”

Michael

I too use the beanbag and usually put it on top of the radio stack in front of the MFD. It also makes it easy to move to a car’s dash when I arrive and use it for ground navigation.

I also bought one of these suction cup mounts, and it sucks! I mean that in the good sense! Click here to view/purchase this at Aircraft Spruce. It costs less than $40.

I used Michael Nagy’s suction cup setup and it has worked quite well. Just remember to re-moisten the suction cup attachment every once in a while Thank you Michael.

For what it’s worth - something I’ve learned about suction cups (for anything) in airplanes:

They are a lot less effective - sometimes fail altogether - if you apply them on the ground and then fly high. It took me a while to realize that whenever the suction cup fell off, I was at 8,000’ or 10,000’ or so… and realize why. Once YOU realize why, you’ll do what I do – APPLY the danged things at altitude. End of problem.

• Mike.

PS - A little spit doesn’t hurt, either! [;)]

Mike,

Are you trying to say that higher altitudes suck? [:)]

Walt

In reply to:

Are you trying to say that higher altitudes suck? [:)]

No Walt… there’s just not as much atmosphere up there as we have on the ground! [;)]

• Mike.

In reply to:

Are you trying to say that higher altitudes suck? Walt
No Walt… there’s just not as much atmosphere up there as we have on the ground![;)] Mike

Mike: you’re too modest. I’ve flown with you, and I can assure you that there is just as much atmosphere with you on the ground as there is at altitude .

In reply to:

[:)] Walt: Are you trying to say that higher altitudes suck?
[;)] Mike: No Walt… there’s just not as much atmosphere up there as we have on the ground!
[:O] Marty: Mike: you’re too modest. I’ve flown with you, and I can assure you that there is just as much atmosphere with you on the ground as there is at altitude .

Mike: Easy, Marty… I resemble that remark!

• Mike.

In reply to:

there’s just not as much atmosphere up there

Atmosphere . . . you want atmosphere? Bring a candle and a bottle of wine if you want atmosphere. Just fold down those back seats and switch on the autopilot if you want atmosphere.

Mike, thank you, thank you. From now on, whenever someone is giving me a hard time because of all the weird posts I’ve posted, I have your post to turn to to prove I’m just an innocent babe in the woods! [:D]

In reply to:

Mike, thank you, thank you. From now on, whenever someone is giving me a hard time because of all the weird posts I’ve posted, I have your post to turn to to prove I’m just an innocent babe in the woods!

Gordon,
You’re welcome. For my part, I can always turn to Dennis.

• M.
    Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
    And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
    And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
    While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

– Augustus De Morgan: A Budget of Paradoxes

In researching the verse in my previous post, I found this clever one - clearly related, but much more meaningful in an aviation sense:
Big Whorls Have Little Whorls
Big whorls have little whorls
That feed on their velocity,
And little whorls have lesser whorls
And so on to viscosity.

-- Lewis F. Richardson