Dual Garmins?

Hi All -

After a couple months lurking I’ve finally become a member. And I’m in the process of configuring my SR20 (knock on wood)!!

Question for the forum: Please tell me your opinion of getting dual Garmin 430s verus the standard 430/250 config. There are many options I want and limited budget, so I’m trying to limit myself only to those with real payback. Also, I really do want the S-TEC 55X autopilot. Can this be installed with the 430/250 option? If Cirrus won’t do it, would aftermarket be a good option?

Thanks,
-Todd

Todd,

Congratulations on your decision to purchase an SR20!

We have the 430/250 combo in our SR20 and have been perfectly content.

From http://www.cirrusdesign.com/downloads/pdf/SR20SR22pricesheet.pdfthe latest Cirrus price sheet, it looks like the 55X autopilot is only available in a package with dual Garmin 430s. I’m sure you could get an avionics shop to do a custom 55X installation, but it might not be economical to do so.

Cheers,
Roger

If you decide to sell your plane sometime in the future:

I believe you will find the " demand " higher for the dual 430’s and would offer free advice ( price infers quality ) to go ahead and get the dual 430’s.

One thing to consider - beside of the money - is:
Dual Garmin 430 requires you to learn only how to handle
the first one, the other operates the same.
I was told that one of the most complex devices in the SR2X
is the GARMIN. So to reduce workload - especially if something
goes wrong, I think it is better if your backup is identical.

Hans

OK - you all have convinced me that the 430/250 combo is probably not what I want. I think the user interface discrepancy was the most persuasive in my situation.

At this point I’m thinking the 430/420 will give me the most bang for the buck. But this will only get me the 55 autopilot. It looks like the only difference is GPS Steering. How important do you find this feature? I’ve heard you can have GPSS added to a 55 - how much does this cost?

-Todd

Future SR20 - N19TT

Thanks everyone for your very thoughtful advice. Based on it I placed my order today and decided on the 430/420 combo. The salesperson (Bruce Gunter) said they could not let me get the 55X with this as it would complicate getting the Airworthiness Certificate. Nor could they add the GPSS steering so I’ll have that added aftermarket.

Assuming all goes according to plan N19TT will debut October 14.

-Todd

The Stec 55X requires an electric HSI to work. The Cirrus with the 430/250 has a conventional DG. I am not sure how Cirrus handles this now that the planes are “all electric” but you need the upgrade to get the 55x. You want dual 430’s if you will fly under instrument conditions.

I have an all electric SR20 with the 430/250 combination and am content with this arrangement. I believe the dual 430 is nice to have but in my instrument training the 430 seems to support all that is needed. I use the 250 for the second radio and the GPS function to enter the final destination.

My plane also has the S-Tec 30 which also works well with the Century HSI.

The only periodic task I need to do in which a dual 430 would make a piece of cake is the monthly VOR check. with one 430 you need to sit on a VOT or find a location where you can fly over and has a VOR check defined. From a calibration point of view the 430 is all digital which implies that it either is right on or far off (is broken).

If you really want something better than the 250 think of the 420 which has some of the 430 features but with a small display.

Emil

Brian,

You are right,

now that the SR20 is all electric, there is only an Stec 20 autopilot available for the basic version (‘00’ series) , cause there is no electric DG with a heading bug.

Aftermarket prices are high.

Thanks - I do plan on getting my instrument rating. What specifically is superior about the 430/430 over the 430/250 in executing IFR?

-Todd

Future SR20 - N19TT

Now that the SR20 is PFD, the basic autopilot is the 55SR, which comes with the 430/250 combo or the 430/420 combo. As stated elsewhere, to get the 55X requires dual 430’s. See http://www.cirrusdesign.com/downloads/pdf/SR20SR22pricesheet.pdf for pricing and options.

Should have read more carefully, uh…

Still living in the 6-pack SR20 200 series age…

In reply to:

Thanks - I do plan on getting my instrument rating. What specifically is superior about the 430/430 over the 430/250 in executing IFR?

Todd,

The 250 is not IFR certified for navigation. The 420 is IFR certified but can only do GPS/RNAV approaches. The 430 is IFR certified and can do GPS/RNAV, VOR, and ILS/LOC approaches.

Having just one 430 is fine, IMHO, as long as it works. If it breaks and you’re in IMC, you may wish to have at least the 420, if not another 430…

Another poster mentioned it might be better to get the dual 430s in order to keep consistency in the user interface between the 2 radios. This is a good point when considering the 250 which uses a different interface. But the 420 is really just a 430 without the VOR/ILS receiver - so 99% of all the buttons and user interface is the same as a 430. FWIW.

In my plane I chose the 430/420 package but that’s just me - obviously others have different cost/benefit analyses which is why it’s nice to have the choice!

Agree with all that Steve has said. One advantage of the dual 430 instead of the 430/420 combo is the ability to have an extra VOR/ILS in case your #1 fails. In my configuration that gives a backup VOR head as well. With the new PFD panel, there is no backup VOR head so I think some of the utility of the second Vor is then wasted. So the 420 would work just fine.

Those that added GPS steering to the 55 over the last 2 years have paid around $1000 for the addirion. It is WELL worth it!. There is no better way for the autopilot to fly than by GPSS because it takes its signals directly from the GPS rather than chasing CDI needles. The autopilot fliues the plane as well as you can with this addition. That is why the 55X has it.

In reply to:

Those that added GPS steering to the 55 over the last 2 years have paid around $1000 for the addirion. It is WELL worth it!.

I’m one of them, and I agree. Among the best “bang for buck” additions I’ve done for my airplane.

Here’s what my addition looks like - others have put the GPSS/HDG button on the instrument panel.

Another big advantage of GPSS is the autopilot will fly the GPS flight plan even if the HSI has failed. That is the case in the PFD-equipped aircraft, and I’d insist any aftermarket GPSS installation maintains that feature (ie has a bus interconnect directly between the 430 and the STEC).

In reply to:

That is the case in the PFD-equipped aircraft, and I’d insist any aftermarket GPSS installation maintains that feature (ie has a bus interconnect directly between the 430 and the STEC).

Curt,

It is indeed so.

Mike.

Congrats !

With either SR20, you can’t go wrong. And I really envy you for not having to wait that long (It took me 2,5 years) for a PFD !!! equiped SR20.

(waiting for the PIREP)

I have the 430/420 combo and a nice feature on the 420 is that it has a nearest button instead of the CDI button The CDI button is not needed due to the fact that the 420 doesn’t have a VOR/LOC receiver. To get Nearest on the 430 requires knob turning. OK big deal, but I like hitting the nearest button.