Budget SR-20

I am an SR-20 placeholder with an anticipated delivery date of December 2002. I am on a pretty tight budget and so am trying to figure out the least expensive yet reasonable and not “penny wise pound foolish” configuration to purchase. I would appreciate hearing comments and advice.

I am willing to fly with only one Garmin 430 since I fly (a 1991 Tiger) without any at present. But I do think altitude hold is essential and am pretty used to an HSI and a Stormscope. (Is the HSI supplied in configuration B “slaved”).

Larry

Hi Larry,

There are others on budgets like myself. In fact I am partnered with 3 other people. We chose the “B” model. With the B model you do get a slaved HSI and the second radio is a GNC420. It’s the same as the 430 except it does not have a NAV radio. In retrospect I would have like to have two 430’s for redundancy. I had never flown an airplane with an autopilot, let alone altitude hold, prior to the SR20. I’m now in the process of getting my IFR ticket and the autopilot is great in helping to reduce workload. I think having an autopilot with altitude hold is a great safety feature as well.

What ever choice you do make you will be getting one fine aircraft.

Larry, N171CD

I am an SR-20 placeholder with an anticipated delivery date of December 2002. I am on a pretty tight budget and so am trying to figure out the least expensive yet reasonable and not “penny wise pound foolish” configuration to purchase. I would appreciate hearing comments and advice.

I am willing to fly with only one Garmin 430 since I fly (a 1991 Tiger) without any at present. But I do think altitude hold is essential and am pretty used to an HSI and a Stormscope. (Is the HSI supplied in configuration B “slaved”).

Larry

Hi Larry,

There are others on budgets like myself. In fact I am partnered with 3 other people. We chose the “B” model. With the B model you do get a slaved HSI and the second radio is a GNC420. It’s the same as the 430 except it does not have a NAV radio. In retrospect I would have like to have two 430’s for redundancy. I had never flown an airplane with an autopilot, let alone altitude hold, prior to the SR20. I’m now in the process of getting my IFR ticket and the autopilot is great in helping to reduce workload. I think having an autopilot with altitude hold is a great safety feature as well.

Larry(s),

I agree - I also chose the “B” model, in order to get two IFR-approved nav devices (i.e. GPS/VOR/ILS and GPS), so that if #1 fails, I can at least shoot a GPS approach legally using #2.

The altitude hold on the a/p with the “B” model is a nice bonus.

I would suggest getting dual alternators with the “B” model – I don’t think that’s standard, at least it wasn’t when I picked up my plane. But I lost an alternator within the first 60 hours or so, so I was real glad that we paid for the 2nd alternator.

The main problem with the “B” model (other than lack of some extra bells and whistles) is that there’s only one ILS receiver. So if something goes wrong with the 430 or the HSI, then you’re limited to non-precision approaches. Not that big a deal most of the time, but Murphy says that the one time the 430 fails will be when there’s a 300 ft ceiling… :slight_smile:

Steve

Hi Larry,

Larry(s),

I agree - I also chose the “B” model, in order to get two IFR-approved nav devices (i.e. GPS/VOR/ILS and GPS), so that if #1 fails, I can at least shoot a GPS approach legally using #2.

I would suggest getting dual alternators with the “B” model – I don’t think that’s standard, at least it wasn’t when I picked up my plane. But I lost an alternator within the first 60 hours or so, so I was real glad that we paid for the 2nd alternator.

The main problem with the “B” model (other than lack of some extra bells and whistles) is that there’s only one ILS receiver. So if something goes wrong with the 430 or the HSI, then you’re limited to non-precision approaches. Not that big a deal most of the time, but Murphy says that the one time the 430 fails will be when there’s a 300 ft ceiling… :slight_smile:

Steve

cant the GARMIN GNC 250 XL GPS/COM

standard on config A be used for GPS approaches?

I don’t know anything about the 250 but what from what I understand the 250 will not talk to the 430 which is a nice feature for crossfill between the GPS’s.

Hi Larry,

Larry(s),

Steve

Larry,

I believe the GNC 250XL is a VFR-only GPS. So legally, it can’t be used for any IFR approach.

Now, in an emergency, if you lost the 430, you could obviously use the 250XL (or a handheld GPS for that matter) to improvise on something like a VOR approach (i.e. you’ll have bearing from and distance from a VOR). Or maybe even GPS approach waypoints are in the 250XL – I’m not sure. In any case, it would certainly help if you lost the 430 in the clouds but would not be legal as your sole source of navigation, IMO.

If someone else knows otherwise, please speak up!

Steve

Larry,

I believe the GNC 250XL is a VFR-only GPS. So legally, it can’t be used for any IFR approach.

Now, in an emergency, if you lost the 430, you could obviously use the 250XL (or a handheld GPS for that matter) to improvise on something like a VOR approach (i.e. you’ll have bearing from and distance from a VOR). Or maybe even GPS approach waypoints are in the 250XL – I’m not sure. In any case, it would certainly help if you lost the 430 in the clouds but would not be legal as your sole source of navigation, IMO.

Steve

To quote Garmins GNC 250XL/GPS 150XL

Brouchure " As the only VFR Panel-mounted unit…".So I guess it is only VFR.If you do go with the 'A’Model add altitude hold for sure to your option list. dan

Larry,

Steve

Steve;

You are correct The GNC 250 is a GPS for VFR only. Therefore no approach capability at all. If you want to do IFR GPS approaches, you need an IFR certified box and, for GArmin, that means a 420,430 or 530.

Brian