Maintenance in S/E Florida

Guys I bought my SR22 - N940CD in June 2004. The preveious owner as well as myself have had the maintenance done in Tampa, KDF with Leading Edge Aviation. I continue to be dissapointed with their service. I would have liked to have kept the maintenance servie with the original maitenance facility, but am not satisfied with them. I live in Wellington Aero Club in West Palmbeach and would like to get some input on some great shops???

Todd -
Come on up to Southeast Aero in KSGJ (St. Augustine.) Great shop.
And either, before or after, we can do some training if you desire.

Also, I can come down and pick up and deliver your aircraft.

Thanks

I have used and been very pleased with both Gainesville-KGNV (fairly new authorized service center) and Orlando-KORL.
I have heard great things about St. Augustine - but never used them.

Certain relevant facts as to several maintenance facilities in South Florida.

St. Augustine: As many of you know, Jim Markey, the service manager has partnered up with Bert from Lincoln Park NJ to form North East Aero, a Cirrus service center in Orange County NY, thus Jim is no longer running the service center in St. Augustine. This commentary is only intended to note the changing of the guard up there and is not necessarily a refection on the St. Augustine service center.

Ron Anders of Executive Aircraft Maint. at FXE is NOT a Cirrus service center, but previously was one from early on. His staff is highly knowledgable of the Cirrus quirks, but cannot do “warranty work”. Otherwise, Exec aircraft is a good bet.

Tamiami Airport (TMB) has just established a new service center. I have met the folks but have no first hand experience with them just yet. I am based at TMB

Marathon (MTH) is Rick Elder & family. A fine and knowledgable group, but small. If you are going to Marathon for a week, drop off you plane, and it will be ready when you get ready to go home. Also, good gas prices.
His wife is a real estate broker so while your plane is under repair, she will show you around.

CAVEAT: I represent Bert & Jim (MGJ), Ron Anders (FXE), and Rick (MTH) so, while I am not totally impartial, I do know all of their work and they all do a fine job.
CAVEAT 2: If you go to any of the above, make sure you pay your bill, because I could always use a spare Cirrus.
1-207854-devil-trial.gif

Todd,

Out of curiosity, what were the issues at Leading Edge? They’ve been doing stuff for me for 2 1/2 years and I’ve been generally pleased and periodically delighted with their work.

Tom

Todd, Rick Epler with Middle Keys Aircraft, we have just hit our summer slow period and would be more than happy to take care of your maintenance needs, just to let you know, enterprise has one way cars that can be arranged through the FBO here Marathon Jet Center, and I have no problems with a Saturday pick-up.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to try Marathon first. I can’t think of a more exotic place to fly to get maintenance done.

While I can confirm satisfaction with St Augustine, it has gotten to be a bit of a trip after some 3+ years from S Florida. I am cautiously optimistic with their personnel change.

Good to know about Orlando. Has anyone used Marathon?

In reply to:

Certain relevant facts as to several maintenance facilities in South Florida.
St. Augustine: As many of you know, Jim Markey, the service manager has partnered up with Bert from Lincoln Park NJ to form North East Aero, a Cirrus service center in Orange County NY, thus Jim is no longer running the service center in St. Augustine. This commentary is only intended to note the changing of the guard up there and is not necessarily a refection on the St. Augustine service center.
Ron Anders of Executive Aircraft Maint. at FXE is NOT a Cirrus service center, but previously was one from early on. His staff is highly knowledgable of the Cirrus quirks, but cannot do “warranty work”. Otherwise, Exec aircraft is a good bet.
Tamiami Airport (TMB) has just established a new service center. I have met the folks but have no first hand experience with them just yet. I am based at TMB
Marathon (MTH) is Rick Elder & family. A fine and knowledgable group, but small. If you are going to Marathon for a week, drop off you plane, and it will be ready when you get ready to go home. Also, good gas prices.
His wife is a real estate broker so while your plane is under repair, she will show you around.
CAVEAT: I represent Bert & Jim (MGJ), Ron Anders (FXE), and Rick (MTH) so, while I am not totally impartial, I do know all of their work and they all do a fine job.
CAVEAT 2: If you go to any of the above, make sure you pay your bill, because I could always use a spare Cirrus.

Dennis,
Thanks for your insight. I had forgotten about Rick in Marathon. I actually met Rick through his wife Brenda. We landed in Marathon and she showed us a listing in an airport community south of seven mile bridge. I met Rick and he seemed like a great guy. Thanks for the reminder.

Tom,
I have been going doing business with Leading Edge for three years as well.

It was actually an aggregate of several issues. The first is a real problem with weekend pickup after maintenance. I have had several instances where 1) they could not find my keys and invoice. They actually had to call Ryan and he had to open up maintenance. This was after verifying the day before that everything was ready to go and I was flying in to pick up my plane. 2) this weekend after keeping my plane three weeks and spending over $15K they could not find my plane for over 2hrs while I waited not knowing if I would have to find a commercial flight back to Palm Beach.

The other issue involves the fact that I had to ask about the line cutter replacement that they missed in 2005 and Ryan said that quit frankly they had never really checked this out or replaced one. The line cutter is mandatory replacement item at three years, on earlier models, on five years on later models as well as the replacement line cutter.

The other issue are common when owning a plane or any other mechanical device and are not worth mentioning except for the fact that other serious issue had arose. I really like these guys, but it comes to the point of diminishing returns when you weigh traveling that far for not so great service. Thanks for your thoughts.

Todd
Given your location and that you are not under warranty, you might want to consider Executive Aircraft Maint at FXE

Rick: Is Bill Erhorn still there?

Yes, Bill Ehrhorn is still at Marathon Jet Center and doing great, we will tell him that you asked about him. Come down to visit soon, the weather is absolutely beautiful, I ran out on my boat yesterday with scuba gear dove the reef…little rough but nice.

MJC for best fuel prices and Middle Keys Aircraft for the best maintenance in South Florida.

Hope to see you soon.

In reply to:

Yes, Bill Ehrhorn is still at Marathon Jet Center and doing great, we will tell him that you asked about him. Come down to visit soon, the weather is absolutely beautiful, I ran out on my boat yesterday with scuba gear dove the reef…little rough but nice.
MJC for best fuel prices and Middle Keys Aircraft for the best maintenance in South Florida.
Hope to see you soon.

thanks. Please tell him I work for his old Alma Matta now! Strange how things work. Also, please ask if he is going to the Bahamas in about 3 weeks.

Marty