Looking for some advise on what to know about the SR22T.

Good morning,

I owned a Bonanza B36TC and then a few TBM for the last 10 years. I have about 2500 total time mostly IFR.

A friend of mine is going to let me fly his SR22T and as I am unfamiliar with the make and model, I am looking for some feedback from experienced pilots on what to watch for.

Thank you for your advise.

David Fabry

Dave:

In all probability, you will not see a lot of things different compared to the Bo you flew before. The 22T has a fixed RPM at 2500 which is one change. Do not believe the operating temp limitations on the CHTs. They need to be kept below 380 and nothing higher than that.

Overall, the Cirrus will be easier to fly than the Bo as there is no gear to cycle, no cowl flaps, no prop control to work and a bit more integrated instrumentation to view.

I do not think you will find any problems compared to what you were flying.

Sure, find a instructor to get proper transition training. Look you can’t shortcut this, you’re experienced but people more experienced than you have killed themselves in a cirrus.
It’s not a hard plane to fly but you need type specific training.

I may have misread your post if so I apologize. I thought he was letting you fly it without a checkout. If you were posting here for supplemental information prior to your training then I owe you a apology. Coming here and asking is a excellent idea!!
Sorry for being cranky!

As Bryan has said, it is well worthwhile to get some transition training with an *experienced *Cirrus-specific instructor.

While it is easy to be of a mindset that you don’t need the full-on training if you are just going to fly the plane from time to time, I’d suggest that this is all the more reason to get proper training. Also since you are using your friend’s airplane, you might want to be particularly careful not to bend or crash it as many friendships have been destroyed over someone damaging his buddies airplane.

One of the biggest risks IMO for a pilot not experienced in the Cirrus is the landing. Way too easy to come in too fast, be unfamiliar with the different sight picture, try to stick it down when you are still flying too fast, and reacting incorrectly to a bounce on landing.

A bounced landing has killed plenty of Cirrus pilots.

Hi Bryan,

I am in the homework phase for now.

I took a good look at the airplane, read the POH and I will most likely go fly with my friend to listen to him as a start.

I had a G1000 in my TBM850 but I am curious to find out if the Cirrus specific setup is different.

Just investigating for now…relaxed? :slight_smile:

Thanks Brian! I will watch these CHTs…Anything else specific you noticed?

Dave

The G1000 has a few expanded options in the way it functions in the Cirrus as it is called Perspective; not just G 1000. Operationally it is a bit more intuitive and, if the option was chosen, the screens are bigger. But you will notice no significant operational difference.

I think the biggest difference you will notice is in the way the Cirrus lands. I have not flown a TBM but the Cirrus lands more like a lot of turbine planes than a traditional piston single. By that, I mean there is very little flare. You fly it down yo the runway and just arrest the descent before touchdown but there is vety little pulling back on the yoke. There is always the question of whether flying with a side stick makes any difference. It does not. It takes about 30 seconds to get used to it. If you are like most of us, you will really like it. You finally get to have your lap back in an airplane!

I think the landing as mentioned is the biggest issue. A little bouncier and nose heavy than the TBM. Of course no Beta :wink:

There is no nose steering, so mostly rudder. Bad idea to keep it on the line with brakes, they will wear prematurely and overheat if you ride them. Usually with a little prop wash and rudder you can steer it.

Cirrus has marketed the Perspective as different, I am not sure what they are talking about, I am unaware of any significant differences from any of the other G1000’s, they all have minor airframe specific features, but are essentially the same.

Hotstarts (starting hot, not the turbine type) is admixed with folklore, and may be the most challenging aspect of flying a Turbo Cirrus.

Don’t take the transition too lightly, but have fun.

There ARE a few operational differences with the Perspective - and the key pad.

Specifically, on a regular - G1000 - you select the radio frequency by twisting the knobs…

and - on the Perspective you MAY also twist - however, the input is going into a “buffer” and is not actually entered until the ENTER button is pushed - this can be confusing -

There are a few other minor differences - It has been a long time since I used a regular G1000 - so - hard for me to remember specifically - the radio frequency IS a specific difference -

Regards

-J-

Not sure I am following. I went back and forth from my perspective to the PA46 regularly, often flying them the same day, and don’t recall any logic differences. The keypad layout is a little different, and the PA46 has a couple of extra options like it can control the PFD or MFD from the keypad, and you can select soft keys if you desire, so has those extra buttons. Maybe some subtle differences, but I never really noticed them.

You would have no problem in a perspective bird Charles.
With that said a Garmin engineer has told me the perspective code base is the most complex g1000 version they have. I suspect due to all the accessories and features added in over time. Cies, EVS, ESP, turbo LOP features, etc etc.

Chuck sorry, I always forget.

Yes relaxed. Sometimes multitasking has its drawbacks, you can’t read as carefully as you should.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for time and for sharing your experiences.

I recall using the joystick being extremely quick to get used to.

The TBM is a heavier turbine airplane that allows you to arrive quite “hot” if you want to (as much as 250 KT at 4 M from touchdown) and still land at 80 KT. Based on your comment, I will certainly make sure to be on a stabilized, not too fast approach.

Do you have numbers you work with in terms of power settings and speeds?

Thank you again.

Dave

As far as power settings and speeds, the power setting will vary a bit based on winds but figure 25-30% power for the landing sequence. Or, if you do not like percent power, that translated into about 18 inches MP to get below 120 knots. Depending on a G5 versus other Cirri, flap down speed is 119 knots in anything other than a G5. On that one it is 150.

Once you begin your descent from downwind or wherever, about 12 inches MP manages an average situation but again may vary with conditions. In this phase you will get a variety of opinions on what your speed should be. On an IFR approach I fly at 110 knots leaving the FAF. But none of this is set in stone. I want to be at the 100% flap down speed at MDA/DA/DH so I have the option to go to full flaps if desired. That is 104 knots. Power to be there will be around 10 inches MP but variable again.

To me the most important speed in a Cirrus is what you cross the numbers at right before landing. Traditionally that speed was taught way too fast and has resulted in numerous landing accidents. The proper speed is 1.3 times the stall speed inthe landing configuration. Stall speeds in the POH are published based on MGW. No one should be landing at MGW unless you took off over gross. So, at MGW the stall speed here is 59 knots. If you take 1.3 of that you get 77 knots. Subtract 1 knot for every 100 pounds under MGW and you will use that speed for just above touchdown. Faster risks bounces and excessive runway length. Adjustments need to made for gusty winds etc. but that is the ballpark. The Cirrus, due to its main gear, is subject to bounces and PIO if touched down too fast. Experience has shown that is a bigger problem than being a few knots too slow. This is one plane where landing faster is worse than being a bit slow. In reality, compared to most yokes, you can fine tune the side stick so that you can control your airspeed within 1-2 knots in calm conditions. So speed management should not be difficult to achieve.