life rafts

Hi All,

Within my Cirri co-owner group a discussion is active on do we buy a life raft for our both Cirri SR20’s???
If yes what type ??. we have been looking a Winslow ect.

I would appreciate the COPA forms inputs on this, also Do’s and DON’Ts are very welcome.

Tx
Jaap Zondag
N263CD & N264CD
Cirushare

There is an extensive discussion on life rafts or life jackets on the “members forum”. Just “search” the members site.

Jaap,
An excellent resource is Doug Ritter’s http://www.equippedtosurvive.com/Equipped to Survive web site. The site has extensive discussions of life rafts and aircraft ditching procedures.

Cheers,
Roger

I just bought a 6 person WInslow with the inflatable canopy. Not their top of the line, but close to it. Cost about $3,200.00. A lot of money if all it does is sit in the back seat. But, I figured you don’t want to be floating down under the parachute over 8 foot seas thinking “Boy, I’m sure glad I saved $1,000 on my raft.” The Winslow seems to be built like a brick s___house, has lots of good features and consistently gets the top ratings. The features all appear to be well-thought out and rugged. Here’s hoping I never have to find out how good it really is.

John Kinsey
N623SK

In reply to:

Jaap,An excellent resource is Doug Ritter’s Equipped to Survive web site. The site has extensive discussions of life rafts and aircraft ditching procedures.

Jaap,

Indeed it is. And, if you want to hear it directly from the horse’s mouth (well, Doug’s mouth, anyway!), come to our Migration in Duluth in mid-June… Doug will be there, and we’ll have the opportunity to practice climbing into a raft while fully clothed - in the hotel swimming pool!

Watch the Members Discussion forum for more details later today.

• Mike

In reply to:

Indeed it is. And, if you want to hear it directly from the horse’s mouth (well, Doug’s mouth, anyway!), come to our Migration in Duluth in mid-June… Doug will be there, and we’ll have the opportunity to practice climbing into a raft while fully clothed - in the hotel swimming pool!

Jaap: And I think Winslow will be there as well.

When I lived in Florida and travelled overwater a lot, I used to own a raft. It was a Winslow. Like many things in life you get what you pay for. In the case of rafts, better materials and more features cost money.

What do rafts, Survival kits, Insurance, smoke detectors and attorneys all have in common? You hope never to need them, but when you do, you want the best, the price is almost irrelevant and you absolutely want it them to work as advertised.

Marty