Report of PLBs/GPLBs

Doug Ritters’s http://www.equipped.org>Equipped performed tests on the new GPLBs with surprising and sometimes disappointing results. The results my be found [here

I recommend anyone that has such a device or is interested in purchasing them read the report. It contains interesting information about the devices limitations and shortcomings.

For a very brief summary, it appears that the devices are still a considerable improvement over the older ELTs, but the users should be advised to do their best to keep the units oriented vertically, keep the antennae free from water and try to ensure that the units have a clear view of the constellation of satellites. In general, a lot of us (I know that I do) believe that if something is new and uses more advanced or at least modern technology that it will do what it is advertised to do and have very high levels of reliability. In the case of GPLBs, while still a marked improvement on the ELTs, apparently they are not perfect.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Doug Ritter and the “Equipped to Survive” organization, Doug was a guest speaker at last year’s Minnesota Migration. He gave a lecture on ditching the Cirrus aircraft and a separate, in-pool, participatory demonstration of life vests and life rafts. His presentations are always quite interesting and sometimes a bit controversial. I recommend that if you have any interest in survival techniques and equipment, you take a few minutes and review some of the materials that he has on his web site.](http://www.equipped.org/406_beacon_test_summary.htm#Summary)

Is there a good comparison of PLBs anywhere? Most of the stuff I see is somewhat generic as opposed to “this model works well and this other one doesn’t” i.e. I am looking for buying advice.

In reply to:

He gave a lecture on ditching the Cirrus aircraft and a separate, in-pool, participatory demonstration of life vests and life rafts.

Marty,

Everyone I know who saw Doug last year agrees that his was an amazing set of presentations. For me, the nature of survival information is that it leaks out of my brain at a pretty steady rate - for a good reason, which is that I never use it. But of course, that worries me… so like many others, I’ll make a point of attending Doug’s talks again at this year’s Migration.

I don’t know that I’ll want to get wet, although last year’s “pool volunteers” seemed to have way too much fun. I can tell you that it was certainly great entertainment for the landlubbers, too!

• Mike.

Dang! I just bought the McMurdo FastFind Plus at Sun 'n Fun, from Aircraft Spruce. They had the best price, $863. Now I find out that its GPS location performs poorly, if at all. Oh well, at least the 406Mhz doppler location works OK.

Marty, if I ditch on the way to the Bahamas, promise me you’ll circle overhead until help arrives.

-Miek

In reply to:

Is there a good comparison of PLBs anywhere? Most of the stuff I see is somewhat generic as opposed to “this model works well and this other one doesn’t” i.e. I am looking for buying advice.

Paul: The best comparison of GPLBs is on the link in my first post on this thread. As far as a comparisson of PLBs, I dont’t know (the difference between “PLBs” and GPLBs" is the “G” which stands for GPS enables or a PLB with an integrated GPS so it not only sends out a distress beacon, but it also transmits GPS location.)

To broaden the conversation even more, in general the difference between the GPLB/PLBs and the EBIRB/GBIRB is the size/endurance of the battery (12/vs 24 hours in suboptimum conditions) and the size (The EBIRBs are at least twice the size.

As far as I know the best source for this stuff is Doug’s site http://www.equipped.org.

While looking for the pics in my post above… I found this one. Reminded me that I need to arrive early this year, to get a better parking spot – you can see my airplane, N84MR, in the middle of the pack. If you were there… your plane is probably somewhere in this photo as well.

• Mike.

Great Pics. Yes, it was a lot of fun. I really like the survival stuff, so I am unduly biased, but I find survival seminars, especially the hands on demonstrations, a blast.

One thought, since we did a dry (classroom) ditching seminar last year in addition to the pool demo, would be a demo on land survival equipment such as flares signal mirrors fire starting stuff (technical term) dye markers, iodine tablets, etc.

But thanks for keeping me out of the pictures!

I see N266CD, isn’t that Alan’s personal plane ?

In reply to:

One thought, since we did a dry (classroom) ditching seminar last year in addition to the pool demo, would be a demo on land survival equipment such as flares signal mirrors fire starting stuff (technical term) dye markers, iodine tablets, etc.

Marty,

What a cool idea! I’ll pass it along to Myron.

In reply to:

But thanks for keeping me out of the pictures!

Aw, c’mon, Marty… what did you expect? You know me well enough by now!

Yea! Thanks!! But at least you don’t have one of me in a bating suit!!!

Maybe I missed it when I skimmed through it but I was looking for a Consumer Reports type of “for this use get this one” with brand names and prices. BTW, I am actually looking for a GPLB. I saw the name of the bad one mentioned but didn’t see a good list of all of the ones tested.

In reply to:

Yea! Thanks!! But at least you don’t have one of me in a bating suit!!!

Yea, but I do.
1-85597-Picture093.jpg

In reply to:

Yea, but I do.

NO FAIR! You’re teaming up against me! MOOOOMMMYYYY!!

In reply to:

BTW, I am actually looking for a GPLB.

A search of the Forums for GPIRB will yield some posts with descriptions and links. I have been flying with a GPIRB for about three years. (Same as GPLB)

In reply to:

Maybe I missed it when I skimmed through it but I was looking for a Consumer Reports type of “for this use get this one” with brand names and prices. BTW, I am actually looking for a GPLB. I saw the name of the bad one mentioned but didn’t see a good list of all of the ones tested.

Pul: I think the ACR GyPSi appeared to perform the best in the tests, BUT Doug included a disclaimer/notice that he had received some funding through the sales of that device.

I think the bottom line is that regardless of which unit you buy, it will be a big improvement over the conventional ELTs that are installed in our plane. (I would have loved to see Cirrus Design break ground and use a 406 Mhz ELT connected to the aircraft’s GPS.) How much of an improvement depends upon the specific unit and your budget. the GPIRBs are better than the GPLBs (for now), have longer battery life, more features, and probably more robust. On the downside, they cost more, are bigger and heavier. (Their size has a secondary drawback as they are more difficult to keep with you in an emergency situation.) There are always tradeoffs.

BUT IMHO, I would not hesitate to buy a better rated GPLB. They really are a quantum leap in SAR signalling, and while they may not be perfect, they are considerably better than the ELTs. For now it is a device that you would need to personally deploy and activate. Assuming that you are physically capable of doing so, you should be able to overcome most of the units’ shortcomings.

In reply to:

Marty, if I ditch on the way to the Bahamas, promise me you’ll circle overhead until help arrives.
-Mike

Mike that’s the plan! [;)]

In reply to:

Dang! I just bought the McMurdo FastFind Plus at Sun 'n Fun, from Aircraft Spruce. They had the best price, $863. Now I find out that its GPS location performs poorly, if at all. Oh well, at least the 406Mhz doppler location works OK.

Don’t worry, if you ditch and need it, just follow the following directions:

• Keep it dry at all times

• Keep it vertical, preferably mounted 20’ – 30’ above all surrounding terrain. (Finding a sailboat and asking them to anchor with your and tie the PLB to the very top of thier mast would really help.)

To increase the unit’s efficiency and to really aid it in attracting SAR help, you should:

• Light a large fire. 20’ -15’ flames should do it. The more smoke the better. (I suggest borrowing some deisel fuel form a passing sport fishing boat.)

• Use another radio or beacon to ensure the message has gotten out

• Be prepared to vector SAR aircraft to your position.

• Maintain these actions for at least 12 hours and as long as 24

I guarantee that if you follow that advice, you will be rescued very quickly.

And seriously, Mike, if you were in the drink, I would circle you until my fuel ran out and then would ditch near to increase the flotsam so that you would be easier to spot and, of course to keep you company!

And if all of that does not work, I will give you the addresses of all of the SAR facilities in the Bahamas and on the east coast of Florida so you can paddle or swim to them and tell them personally where you are.

Marty,

Those are all good suggestions. I’ve printed them out, had them laminated, and put them in my life vest pocket. Just to be sure, I’ll add a satellite phone and a generator to recharge it, and some gas cans to run the generator. That way, I can call the rescue center and see if they got my PLB signal.

-Mike

I found the summary section. The Acer GyPSi doesn’t have a built in GPS if I understand the Acer ad literature correctly. I woud think having the GPS built in would be a big plus. Now what is the difference between a GPIRBs and GPLBs? I feel like the song INITIALS from the play Hair.

In reply to:

I found the summary section. The Acer GyPSi doesn’t have a built in GPS if I understand the Acer ad literature correctly. I woud think having the GPS built in would be a big plus. Now what is the difference between a GPIRBs and GPLBs? I feel like the song INITIALS from the play Hair.

Paul: I think the ACR GyPSi does have GPS because the “G” should stand for "GPS, and secondly, it was reviewed for its GPS capabilities. But I could be wrong!

As for the difference, I think the ‘legal’ difference is the standards. The EPIRBs/GPIRBs are certified by the US Coast Guard and were designed for boating use. They are bigger, have longer lasting batteries and are heavier. (I think the batteries have to last either 24 or 48 hours - twice as long as the PLB’s as measured in ungodly cold water.) They also may have a few extra features that may or may not be of interest to flyers, hikers, etc. (the difference between the GPIRB & EPIRB is the inclusion of the internal GPS capability so when it transmits a beacon, it includes the self determined position. Their size is about that, er, well I can’t think of a good comparison. They are about as tall as a carton of cigarettes and quit a bit larger around - certainly not something to slip into your pocket or on your belt. But, if you expect to be lost in the open water far from rescuers, it is the way to go.

The PLBs are newer lighter and approved for use to a much less stringent standard (as reflected in Doug’s tests). the are a little bigger than a pack of cigarettes, about 50% taller, and capable of being clipped on a belt or slipped in a baggy pocket. their battereis last only 12 or 24 hours - either way 1/2 as long as their larger cousins. They are ideal for land use where it is unlikely you will drift very far, and for coastal aviation use. Even out in the open water, they are effective.

Both units use the more accurate 406 MHZ CORPAS (?) satellite system which by itself theoretically will reduce the SAR time by as much as 75% Both units will transmit a discreet code, which if you register, will enable SAR to know exactly who and what they are looking for. The ELT system uses 121.5 (& maybe 243.0) and only transmits a beacon. They are know for false alarms and due to technicalities of the satellites and their orbits are not as accurate or as quick.

Both systems are great and a huge improvement on the ELT. I would strongly recommend the GPS version of either as it improves accuracy to less than 100 sq.ft. In general, for our purposes, I don’t see the benefits of the larger GPIRBs, unless you are a ferry pilot, outweighing the increased size and weight. Given Doug’s report, I would suggest the ACR GyPSi (or just follow the advice I gave Mike [:S]).

That pretty much exhausts (probably exceeds) my knowledge on the subject.

From the ACR Electronics web site:

GyPSI™ 406 PLB FCC Approved 406 MHz Personal Locator Beacon with GPS Interface

Note it has a GPS interface but no GPS itself.