Left Handed

Hi everybody!

I’ve been checking out the Cirrus for a while. I’ll be looking for a partnership in some sort of aircraft somewhere in the Portland, OR area soon.

I’m a lefty… I notice in the photos of the cirrus that the yoke is on the left side. I’m sure there are other leftys out there… How do you all cope with writing down all those ATC instructions when u r busy flying with the left hand?

Perhaps are there alternate yoke configurations?

fly right seat. :slight_smile:

In reply to:

How do you all cope with writing down all those ATC instructions when u r busy flying with the left hand?

First get a helicopter IFR rating - then you can learn how to write clearances while flying with both hands!

I’m a lefty and don’t find it too hard to manage writing down clearances, frequencies, etc. If you use the autopilot for 99% of your operations (probably most Cirrus drivers are in this category), then it really doesn’t matter.

Hi,

I’m left handed and have flown my SR20 for, um, 3 years now, and its never been a factor. When I have to write, its either on the ground or when Im on autopilot. I think only once I asked ATC to stand by while i flipped on the autopilot for a second.

BTW, one of the Klapmeiers is left handed, dont remember which one (thats which brother, not which hand…)

Cheers,

Brand

I too am a lefty and have no problems.

I don’t write with my right hand either. (I’m not that good!) In reality, it is not often that you have to write while flying, unless you so choose. Most of the time, you are using the A/P, so you can write with you left hand. Those few times that you need to fly and write at the same time, just use the phrase, “Stand by one.”

This subject has been discussed before. You may try the search function and look for some other tips.