Have any &quotlefties&quot flown yet?

I’m wondering how a lefthanded writer will deal

with a side control stick when it’s necessary

to let go of the stick to write down a clearance.

I realize, of course, that one could turn on the

autopilot, but for the sake of argument, let’s say it’s not convenient to do so.

Among you “lucky dogs” to have actually flown

a Cirrus, are any of you “lefties”. Is it a

problem or not?

I realize, of course, that one could turn on the

autopilot, but for the sake of argument, let’s say it’s not convenient to do so.

Among you “lucky dogs” to have actually flown

a Cirrus, are any of you “lefties”. Is it a

problem or not?

I’m lefty and I’ve flown a pre-production prototype.

Let me start with my flying, I now fly primarily with my left hand. If I have to write a clearance I currently shift hands. I fly a 172 w/out an AP.

When I flew the SR20, this was an area of significant concern. Here are my observations:

1. It was so stable, it was easy to fly hands off for long enought to copy a clearance. In turbulence in the clouds, who knows, but theres a good chance I’ll have the AP engages at that point anyway.

2. The earlier spec sheets all said the “C” option package had “Control Wheel Steering” (CWS) which would be a great benefit for me (and lefties). Essentially, at the touch of a button on the yoke the AP would be engaged in the current flight regime (Attitude) until changed.

3. The current spec sheets (& POH) clearly state that there is no CWS, so I am slightly concerned again, but figure that I can always hit the AP on the Instrument Panel, or say “Stand-by” and engage the AP.

4. I intend to try to get the CWS feature in my plane.

In another matter, has anyone thought about a place to hold approach charts? I’m not ready to buy into using the big ARNAV screen without back-up

1. It was so stable, it was easy to fly hands off for long enought to copy a clearance. In turbulence in the clouds, who knows, but theres a good chance I’ll have the AP engages at that point anyway.

I also am left handed and would quite agree that hands off in good conditions is no problem indeed the Cirrus as with most planes I have flown probably flies smooother without my input.

I had a very turbulent trip to France last weekend, quite low with a very strong wind,I found the best way to write was to steady the control with my right hand and be as fast as possible.

Incidently the STEC autopilot was excellent. In my previous plane, an Arrow 4, you would always get slight roll in good conditions and in turbulence you were better flying it yourself. In the Cirrus the STEC is rock steady in good conditions and absorbs the bumps as well as I can manually in turbulence.

The airfield I was going to had 20 gusting 30 knots across the runway. No, I didn,t make a perfect crosswind landing. I landed 20 miles away on a runway into wind and took a taxi. I havent waited all this time to bend it on my first trip.

En route I landed at Rennes to clear customs, took off again and was leaving their airspace when the air traffic controller told me that a lot of people on the ground had admired the plane and had asked him what it was and could I tell him about it.
Allthough Bill has now sold over a hundred planes in Europe I don’t think he has sold one in France yet, they tend to be very parochial and stick to their Robins, Rallyes and Socatas. Cessna is also strong there as they were made there under license. I go there frequently so will try to be an ambassador.

Sorry I have drifted off the thread.

In another matter, has anyone thought about a place to hold approach charts? I’m not ready to buy into using the big ARNAV screen without back-up

I have the approach charts on my clip board on my lap, afterall there is nothing else in the way with the side stick.

There is a very useful pocket between the seats where the headsets plug in, good for torches, sun glasses etc. Also a mesh pocket on the side wall by your legs, good for maps and charts.

The seats are very comfortable, my back is not too good at the moment and a trip in my car is agony, but two hours in the plane without a twinge.

The cockpit is very ergonomic, everything is comfortably within reach and very visable. The engine gauges to the right of the panel are quite small but with normal operating areas all in green they can be quickly scanned.

The hot and cold air work well. Visability is superb.

All the above contribute to make you comfortable and confident when flying the plane.
Sorry drifting again.

I recently started using a knee-board in the Grumman Tiger - works well even with the yoke in the way. In the SR20 it should work even better. I have the approach plates in flip-over plastic sleeves, and the flight plan written out 1 leg per A5 page clipped to the base of the knee-board. Maps are tucked beside the seat and pulled out as needed.

What I want to know - how many cup-holders are there? I never fly without a water-bottle, and finding somewhere to put it in the Tiger is a problem.