Deicing etc.

This may not be news to some but it was news to me. I heard that Cirrus is working on deicing(anticing} gear that will potentially be available next year. I do not know the price but the favored method so far would be heating elements similar to the back window defrosters on cars. Also Cirrus is considering putting Fadac system on the SR22. This is a computer controlled single lever system that controlls MP,prop. pitch and optimal mixture. Benefits are less fuel consumption,simplicity and lower life for engine components. I wish it were also planned for the SR20. Tailwinds only,

Don Kusenberger #177

This is fantastic news.

If Cirrus has given thought to de-icing, it means our friends in Duluth are seriously thinking beyond recreational uses. A fast four-placer that can climb into ice and beyond is great . . . but the real sweet spot in the market is for six placers that do the same. If Cirrus could “stretch” the SR22 into a six-placer with de-icing, and sell it for, say, $300K to $350K with best avionics and AC, they’d kill Bonanza, which itself is a superb plane but costs, loaded, twice as much. Go for it Cirrus!

RK

This may not be news to some but it was news to me. I heard that Cirrus is working on deicing(anticing} gear that will potentially be available next year. I do not know the price but the favored method so far would be heating elements similar to the back window defrosters on cars. Also Cirrus is considering putting Fadac system on the SR22. This is a computer controlled single lever system that controlls MP,prop. pitch and optimal mixture. Benefits are less fuel consumption,simplicity and lower life for engine components. I wish it were also planned for the SR20. Tailwinds only,

Don Kusenberger #177

I dought the de-icing under consideration is a heat system. The new technology is more like a combination of electrostatic and ultrasound treatment. It’s coming out of the AGATE program.

As far as FADEC is concerned I can’t imagine it will not come to the SR20. It’s just a matter of when, not if. Lancair is hoping to have a FADEC system certified for the Columbia by year end.