JAR question

A friend of mine has just (today!) completed his Private license (PPL) in Belgium. He will soon complete his “International” (JAR) license.

He asked what it takes to use that JAR license in the USA. Can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance…

Mike

SR20 N84MR

My understanding is that a JAR PPL holder can go to any local FAA office and be immediately issued with a Temporary Airmans Certificate which allows him/her to fly in the US with the same priveleges as under the JAR license.

There is quite a lot on this topic in the GA forum of www.flyer.co.uk (search for Flying in US on JAT PPL)

In reply to:

My understanding is that a JAR PPL holder can go to any local FAA office and be immediately issued with a Temporary Airmans Certificate which allows him/her to fly in the US with the same priveleges as under the JAR license.

John,

Thanks very much - I followed the lead you suggested, and also asked AOPA (I always forget about them - what a great resource!). You’re correct - here’s what they said:

1. Bring foreign license, logbook and medical certificate
  2. Walk out with a US private license (no higher, even if JAR license was an ATP).
  3. US license remains valid as long as foreign license remains valid.

Thanks again!

Mike.

You should also get a BFR done to validate your newly minted US certificate. Every FSDO will tell you something different - BFR needed others say not, best to err on the side of caution.

You can add rating sto your US Certifcate issued on the basis of your foregin licence, at one stage I had MEL/IR added. Before I decided to go get a full US licence that did not require my UK licence to be valid.

Couple of points - I don’t believe the logbook is required (they never asked to see mine) and the medical certificate must be in English. Regarding the BFR, I discussed this with an FAA guy at one time, and the conclusion was that 1) all US currency requirements must be met, including the BFR, and 2) a BFR or equivalent done OUTSIDE the US by a non-US instructor meets the BFR requirement - IOW if you’ve had a BFR done at home within the last 2 years, you’re ok, but if not you must do one in the USA with an FAA-certificated instructor. FAR 61.41 refers.

The temporary certificate issued will be replaced with a permanent one posted to your home address.

I did a little more research, and it appears the opinion I had been given is not the official FAA stance.

According to the FAA’s FAQ on part 61 the BFR requirement can only be satisfied by having an FAA-certificated instructor make an endorsement in your logbook (non-FAA instructors can give training, but not make endorsements). And a foreign pilot must meet the BFR requirement to fly a US-registered plane in the US. So in other words, after getting your FAA licence based on a foreign licence, you must go and do a BFR before you can fly as PIC.