International Flying

I am interested in perhaps completing a flight in my SR 22 to South America this year, any guidance on books, refernces, info regarding how to successfully plan and complete such a flight ina privately owned single engine.

Ed Montana

In reply to:

I am interested in perhaps completing a flight in my SR 22 to South America this year, any guidance on books, refernces, info regarding how to successfully plan and complete such a flight ina privately owned single engine.
Ed Montana

Yea. . . don’t land.

alternatively

Land in Miami. It’s the same thing but you save a bunch of gas.

In reply to:

Ed Montana

Ed,

You should definitely join the Baja Bush Pilots, who are very knowledgeable about traveling south of the border in general aviation aircraft.

Cheers,
Roger

In reply to:

Ed Montana

I like " Flying South" …but I don’t remember who wrote the book …it’s great though and a worthwhile read.

Good Luck ~

My girlfriend and I went island hopping throughout the Bahamas last summer. I found AOPA’s site to be a very useful starting place for research.
http://www.iaopa.org
http://www.iaopa.org/proc

In reply to:

I like " Flying South" …but I don’t remember who wrote the book …it’s great though and a worthwhile read.
Good Luck ~

Scott,
Flying South is by Barbara Cushman Rowell (link).

Cheers,
Roger

Flying South was a wonderful tale with a tragic epilogue. I’d certainly recommend it as a sampler of some of the issues (and joys) you could face.

–Michael

In reply to:

Flying South was a wonderful tale with a tragic epilogue. I’d certainly recommend it as a sampler of some of the issues (and joys) you could face.

I had heard of the book and author before, but I didn’t realize she and her husband had been killed (as passengers) in an airplane crash. Here is the NTSB report for the sad event. Another case of spatial disorientation while maneuvering close to an airport at night.