Instrument Training

I know this topic has been addressed in the not so distant past, but I have sort of a different question. What computer programs provide a realistic IFR picture for novice training as well as allow the user an intuitive feel for using the program. Please respond as I am eager to begin learning.

Lost in haze,

Chris

I know this topic has been addressed in the not so distant past, but I have sort of a different question. What computer programs provide a realistic IFR picture for novice training as well as allow the user an intuitive feel for using the program. Please respond as I am eager to begin learning.

Lost in haze,

Chris

Chris,

I love http://www.jeppesen.com/prodserv/flitepro/Jeppesen’s FlitePro. It’s fairly easy to set up and use, and pretty intuitive - the only thing I struggled with a bit was getting it to talk to my joystick, and that was a one-shot-deal.

I use it for practicing approaches into airports before I go there for real, practicing seldom-used procedures (DME arcs, NDB holds, etc.), and sometimes, just for fun. For training, it’s hard to imagine a better tutoring system than the “scripts” which come with it (more available for $$), which play out very realistic scenarios in which a real-sounding controller issues you vectors and instructions, and you have to comply; some scripts are “variable”, meaning that they don’t run quite the same way each time you load them (just like real life). The “controller” talks to lots of traffic - not just to you - so listen up!

The only real gripe I have is that the package is integrated with the Apollo GX50 GPS, not the Garmins we use; the panel is either a C172 or a Bonanza A36. I suppose I should be unhappy about the fact that it’s not a Cirrus, but I think you’ll find it works well for training.

Caviat: Of the instrument sims I’ve tried, this is the one I like the best; but there are quite a few out there, so get lots of opinions [although I’m not quite sure WHERE you’d find opinions on THIS Forum :wink: ]

• Mike.

What computer programs provide a realistic IFR picture for novice training as well as allow the user an intuitive feel for using the program. Please respond as I am eager to begin learning.

I like FS2000 Professional. I use it with a joy stick and CH pedals (I tried the CH yoke but a cheap joystick works better). I used it to practice for my PPL, I used it to practice prior to my instrument rating, and now I use it to fly 1 to 2 approaches a day (at weather minimums with random instrument failures).

I use the Jeppesen Flight Pro. It’s OK, but I don’t think it flies realistically, at least on my computer. ASA has come out with an upgrade. I might try it. Their old IFR Trainer was a good effort on ASA’s part, but eventually crashed on my computer. Another good place to post this type of general question is on AOPA’s forum, especially the “Cloud Busters” section. If you find the magic bullet, I’d like to know about it.

Lost in haze,

Chris

Hi Chris

I use Microsoft’s Flight sim 2000 Pro. I have an SR20 in it that I downloaded and a very close looking copy of the instrument panel (working ARNAV system). I have an instrument rating and use it to fly approaches all the time. The flight model is very close. I fly it right after I have come from the airport and it feels very close to the real thing.

Hi Chris

I use Microsoft’s Flight sim 2000 Pro. I have an SR20 in it that I downloaded and a very close looking copy of the instrument panel (working ARNAV system). I have an instrument rating and use it to fly approaches all the time. The flight model is very close. I fly it right after I have come from the airport and it feels very close to the real thing.

Jim,

Where did you download the SR20 for Flight sim 2000?

Hi Chris

Jim,

I am very interested too. Dieter Spielhoff

Me too, in the mean time have a super great Cirrus day :slight_smile:

Woor

Hi Chris

Jim,

I am very interested too. Dieter Spielhoff